Coil packs

Yea my ecu is motronic, shouldnt make a difference to tuning, just that ms puts out a 5v signal to each coil so ignitor is required. If they dont have an ignitor then the motronic ecu must have it built in

[q uote="Dinky DK, post: 663042, member: 18004"]Yea my ecu is motronic, shouldnt make a difference to tuning, just that ms puts out a 5v signal to each coil so ignitor is required. If they dont have an ignitor then the motronic ecu must have it built in[/quote]must be built in

Sent from my iPhone using T

[q uote="Dinky DK, post: 663042, member: 18004"]Yea my ecu is motronic, shouldnt make a difference to tuning, just that ms puts out a 5v signal to each coil so ignitor is required. If they dont have an ignitor then the motronic ecu must have it built in
must be built in

Sent from my iPhone using T[/quote]
Must be build in

It should be easy enough to find out by checking the resistance across the the input and earth pins but my multimeter aint workin atm n I cant afford a new one :(. I know someone on here put an ms inside a hollow motronic ecu n kept standard coilpacks but havent had any replies from them on their posts. So am at a bit of a loss

It should be easy enough to find out by checking the resistance across the the input and earth pins but my multimeter aint workin atm n I cant afford a new one :(. I know someone on here put an ms inside a hollow motronic ecu n kept standard coilpacks but havent had any replies from them on their posts. So am at a bit of a loss
U can lend mines, am sure someone can help

U can lend mines, am sure someone can help

Cheers pall where you based? Il get there eventualy lol. Unfortunately as with everything micra were in the dark untill you experiment or someone else has done it befor that you can shamelessly copy lol. :)

you will probably need to scope the signals dinky

You mean an oscilloscope? Cuz I dont have one lol. Apparently if they have built in ignitor the resistance across the coil between the ecu signal and earth should be 1k ish. If its less then an ignition module is required. Just need a bit of time and a multimeter to check it (I have neither at the moment lol)

Used the service manual, shows 12v constant, earth and a switched input from the ecu. Dosent state voltage tho. Will check the diagnosis section for clues ie voltage or resistance. ( dunno why I didnt think of that before lol)

Used the service manual, shows 12v constant, earth and a switched input from the ecu. Dosent state voltage tho. Will check the diagnosis section for clues ie voltage or resistance. ( dunno why I didnt think of that before lol)
That's how I looked for wiring my gti maf in worked for me

which is why you need to scope it imo :)

Found this in the service manual. Is a power transistor the same thing as an ignitor?

Attachments

• 1393163002130.jpg
    1393163002130.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 357
Delved a little deeper n found this. Means the transistors are built in to the ecu not the coil pack :( so il need an ignition module. Extraefi sell a ms2 with it built in I beleive but its not cheap n only comes prebuilt :(

Attachments

• 1393163867085.jpg
    1393163867085.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 288
there,s a power transistor in the dizzy on the pre-coilpack models eh, was that previous file from the pre-coilpack diags ?

Delved a little deeper n found this. Means the transistors are built in to the ecu not the coil pack :( so il need an ignition module. Extraefi sell a ms2 with it built in I beleive but its not cheap n only comes prebuilt :(
But if u go mega squirt u can get the extra bit to control the ecu and timing ingtion

But if u go mega squirt u can get the extra bit to control the ecu and timing ingtion

Thats the plan mate. Megasquirt ms2 extra for sequential injection n spark. Wanna make a plug n play loom so I can go back standard ecu at a later date if I need to

Thats the plan mate. Megasquirt ms2 extra for sequential injection n spark. Wanna make a plug n play loom so I can go back standard ecu at a later date if I need to
ok but saying that u don't even need mega squirt ? All u need is a standerd ecu, and one that is remapped think I know someone tunes the motec ecu u have lot cheap and no wiring needed think again

Problem there is swapping the entire engine, loom and ecu. Want to keep everything as standard as possible. Even down to putting the MS in to a spare motronic ecu case. Then it will be plug n play n motronic can go back in as n when I get rid of the car

@Dinky DK if you message ed at fusion motorsport he has fitted omex standalone to coilpack k11s he should know

Spoke to edd, he said megasquirt the way to go. Cant afford for him to wire it up tho so wanna do it myself n get him to map it. Budget for my entire build was 1k which has had to stretch to 1.5k already to include ecu. Gotta do as much as I can myself which means lots of research hence asking stupid questions about coilpacks lol

But can ed not tell you if they a have and ignitor built in

Found out they dont. Ignitor is built in to the motronic ecu. Seems I have a few options. Bosch 211 ignition module at $140. Quadspark module £89. Or maybe... four dizzy type ignitors from a scrappy wired up to suit? I think the later may be an option? Also enquiring as to wether the drivers on the MS2EXTRA board can be upgraded to BIP373s to put out the 12v. Apparently thats the standard driver bosch put in most of there ecus so it should work ok in theory lol

Problem there is swapping the entire engine, loom and ecu. Want to keep everything as standard as possible. Even down to putting the MS in to a spare motronic ecu case. Then it will be plug n play n motronic can go back in as n when I get rid of the car
I know how u mean plug and play won't be easy on coil pack

Found out they dont. Ignitor is built in to the motronic ecu. Seems I have a few options. Bosch 211 ignition module at $140. Quadspark module £89. Or maybe... four dizzy type ignitors from a scrappy wired up to suit? I think the later may be an option? Also enquiring as to wether the drivers on the MS2EXTRA board can be upgraded to BIP373s to put out the 12v. Apparently thats the standard driver bosch put in most of there ecus so it should work ok in theory lol
Easy option is 1.0 dizzy engine 80 pounds
Remap on nistune ecu 450 base map
Wiring loom about 50 pounds
that means u have everything for the swap and it will be lots easy

Sounds good but ms will work out arround the same price, wont have to faf around swapping engines and ms seems more flexible than nistune. Plus going from sequential COP to a dizzy seems like a big backwards step. Just means a little more research is nessesary

Sounds good but ms will work out arround the same price, wont have to faf around swapping engines and ms seems more flexible than nistune. Plus going from sequential COP to a dizzy seems like a big backwards step. Just means a little more research is nessesary
On a Micra nistune all day long,
Cos the mapper for ms will be harder to map on coil pack, and wiring it in will be a pain for coil. I will go for dizzy and nistune or maybe 1.3 dizzy engine in with nistune and have it mapped by Ed

I get ya point I just prefer the idea of stayin coil pack. Thats how it was made, thats how it should stay imho. If you like dizzy then great :) but ms will give me more options for future develop ie maf/map blending etc. Boost controller built in also a bonus :). Also I can upgrade to the CGA13DE later if I choose to :)

I get ya point I just prefer the idea of stayin coil pack. Thats how it was made, thats how it should stay imho. If you like dizzy then great :) but ms will give me more options for future develop ie maf/map blending etc. Boost controller built in also a bonus :). Also I can upgrade to the CGA13DE later if I choose to :)
that's a fair choice own options am guessing, wiring u will have to use Micra manual and find all the wirings and ms wiring up, good choice still

So found out today that Megasquirt 2Extra can run direct coil packs (without ignitors) if you order the following through diyautotune: MOD_2357IGN4: Quad Ignition Outputs through BIP373 coil drivers.

This will mean I just need to wire the ecu up to the motronic wiring n the tuning can begin :)

So found out today that Megasquirt 2Extra can run direct coil packs (without ignitors) if you order the following through diyautotune: MOD_2357IGN4: Quad Ignition Outputs through BIP373 coil drivers.

This will mean I just need to wire the ecu up to the motronic wiring n the tuning can begin :)
Good start am happy your on the way of the coil pack tuning and getting all the bits u need

Back