Clutch release bearing?

solarice

Ex. Club Member
gotta remove the gearbox, maybe all the way out, as i dont think you can get your hands around the box if its just off a little bit. Pretty easy to do though.

Yeah as solarice says its a gearbox off job as there isnt enough room to get it when its partly off. Ive just replaced my clutch and release bearing, shouldnt be too hard if your handy with the spanners:D

Flat_out

frank

Club Member

Attachments

• PICT0210.JPG
    PICT0210.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 761

frank

Club Member
would you not have to seal that hole up? Did it work ok?

no paul, and i threw the tin sandwich plate in the bin a couple of years ago too :wasntme: so there,s plenty of fresh air around my clutch :eek:.
and the thrustrace has,nt squealed again yet this year

OP
OP
Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Site Supporter
well impressed with those pics especially that really holey one. I counted 30 holes. Have you any advice for removing the gearbox as i have never done this. Have you got to reove both drive shafts? and empty the transmission fluid.

frank

Club Member
i always leave the shafts and gearchange in situ, and lower the g/box to the floor paul, but bear in mind mine,s the smaller pre98 1.0 g/box, and there,s no sandwich plate either :wasntme: (but i,m sure i did it the same way on my old super s tho)

frank

Club Member
Sounds good to me, was it fairly straight forward

it takes a couple of hours paul, i always remove the rear g/box bracket first (and the sumpstrap bolts, which mine no longer has *was,nt me lol*), then lower the front of the car onto some planks (front wheels), 3-4 inches extra in height is just about right, then undo everything you need to from the engine bay (battery tray, starter, bellhousing bolts etc) then lower it to the floor :)
(there were some pics in my blog, but they dissapeared in the data crash :suspect:, i,ll have a look on my hd)

OP
OP
Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Site Supporter
Thought so? i was just wondering if i leave the drive shafts in place am i still able to pull the gearbox away slightly?

frank

Club Member
Thought so? i was just wondering if i leave the drive shafts in place am i still able to pull the gearbox away slightly?

sure :) take a goooood look at the angle of the bottom of the g/box before you pull it off tho, picture a line along the bottom of the box and the bottom of the diff, it should point at the floor about where the gearstick is iirc, position it the same, and it will slide back on, get the angle of the dangle wrong and you,ll be humping and swearing for 1/2 an hour or more :p

OP
OP
Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Site Supporter
Ok its done, took about 3 hrs and advice for anyone thinking of doing this job 2 pairs of hands are better than one. Also just drill the hole as above it'll save time and its a bit of a pig otherwise.

A massive thank you to Frank for the advice.

Thanks

Paul

OP
OP
Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Site Supporter
Ok i'm slightly annoyed she has started sqeeking again. So this time the hole is going in, like in the pics above how far from the over shall i put the hole? as in from when the engine links to the gearbox how far over is ideal?