clutch release bearing clips, are they necessary?

Hi, this is my first post here so hello everyone!!!
Basically I bought myself a micra a year ago as a first car as they are cheap to run and insure and lovely and simple to work on. It had only done 53k when I got it and I've since done 12k trouble free miles until the other day when my clutch release bearing gave in. I set about changing this and did the clutch while I was there. I completed this in 6 hours which I was chuffed with until I remembered I hadn't put the clips on, the new clutch kit didn't have them and the old ones got a little mangled in there so i forgot about them. I've driven 3 days on it and one day i was stuck in stop start traffic for 2 hours and I've had no issues. However do these clips stop the bearing rotating on the shaft thus causing the fork to miss the lugs and having no clutch or is the bearing un-able to turn and ill be okay? I've tried looking this up with no luck so posted here, hopefully someone will have an answer and one that saves me some hassle haha.
manyy thanks, Caleb.

Hey buddy, don't know the answer to that....sorry.
But if the car is driving Ok after 4 or 5 days I wouldn't be over worried about it, although obviously they are there for a purpose...but not a major one.
Some one here will pop up with an answer, just keep bumping it to the top until one of the engineers spots it.

rb.jpg

the retaining clip keeps the clutch fork fingers located behind the petruding release bearing tabs at all times.

the backside of the tab is smooth/rounded with no lip feature to keep it retained so it can easily slip/spin off the fork whenever there's no pressure on it (ie when clutch cable's too loose or suddenly release the cluth pedal) ending up with no clutch and/or smashing the fork against the pressure plate.

so at the moment with no retaining clips, it's purely the constant friction & pressure of the fork pressing on the release bearing tab from the tension of the clutch cable that's preventing it from spinning off.

Yeah guarantee if you twanged the pedal up quickly it'd come loose. Sorry to say chap you'll be pulling it all apart again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for your replies, I managed to find an article that said it could spin and i didn't want it playing on my mind so set about re doing it haha, the clips are now in and must say its nicer to drive knowing they're there!! I don't have to look at the side of the road when i drive thinking where would be a good place to break down :) This was the first time i'd done something this involved so did expect a hick up, just annoying it meant doing the WHOLE thing again haha. It's all experience at least, managed to shave some time off the second time round which is always good!!

I hated the first time I did a clutch so much that i dreaded doing it again on my next micra. Just took the experience gained and the next one was a doddle! Fair play for getting stuck in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aye RYB, first time I tried taking gearbox out/in using a trolley jack with engine in place was a cursing headache trying to get that shaft to slot in.
but each time you practice, you get more efficient at it till it's a doddle.
practice = perfection ey

I really didn't mind doing it haha, I was like a Cheshire cat once i finished and until i realised about the clips lol but still wasn't keen to do it all again if I could help it. Yea the garage is all well and good if you have the money which being a student I don't! I also rather do it myself and tend to think garages rip you off so I refuse to take it to one unless its an M.O.T

I really didn't mind doing it haha, I was like a Cheshire cat once i finished and until i realised about the clips lol but still wasn't keen to do it all again if I could help it. Yea the garage is all well and good if you have the money which being a student I don't! I also rather do it myself and tend to think garages rip you off so I refuse to take it to one unless its an M.O.T
I used to do it when I was younger - about 50 years ago...lol
Now my mate does a cheapy for me in his garage....about £20 to change a clutch...YO!!!!! I supply the clutch.

Been doing my cars for nearly all his natural...real nice fella :)

I was quoted £300 to replace stiff to operate clutch on my previous K11, which I considered beyond economic repair and sold it on.

The silver lining to this tale of woe is that I bought a better K11 1300 cc four-door with 34,000 miles and a year’s MOT for less than I sold the old one for.

How’s that for a turnaround steering and negotiating my way out of the poop?

Lots of happy cheeky chappy nods as good as wink to a blind horse as the chirpy chirpy cheap cheap K11 motoring continues. ;);)

I was quoted £300 to replace stiff to operate clutch on my previous K11, which I considered beyond economic repair and sold it on.

The silver lining to this tale of woe is that I bought a better K11 1300 cc four-door with 34,000 miles and a year’s MOT for less than I sold the old one for.

How’s that for a turnaround steering and negotiating my way out of the poop?

Lots of happy cheeky chappy nods as good as wink to a blind horse as the chirpy chirpy cheap cheap K11 motoring continues. ;);)
Alec he's called, and is almost apologetic when he gives you the bill....and always says "are you happy with that"
Oh yes Alec :)

Alec he's called, and is almost apologetic when he gives you the bill....and always says "are you happy with that"
Oh yes Alec :)

I would be happy with some of those mates’ rates.

Always keep my eyes and ears open looking for but haven’t found anyone who likes working on the things with mates rates anywhere near that in my area. Replacing a clutch is a good three hours work in a fully equipped workshop?

With 40+ years motoring experience I find it’s easier and cheaper to anticipate problems and sidestep the expensive big jobs that I do not wish to do myself and simply move on as exemplified by my example above in which I acquired a better problem free lower mileage vehicle at no additional cost.
Long may the ultra cheap K11 motoring continue. :):)

I would be happy with some of those mates’ rates.

Always keep my eyes and ears open looking for but haven’t found anyone who likes working on the things with mates rates anywhere near that in my area. Replacing a clutch is a good three hours work in a fully equipped workshop?

With 40+ years motoring experience I find it’s easier and cheaper to anticipate problems and sidestep the expensive big jobs that I do not wish to do myself and simply move on as exemplified by my example above in which I acquired a better problem free lower mileage vehicle at no additional cost.
Long may the ultra cheap K11 motoring continue. :):)
He had a Ferrari in a while back to rebuild the rear axle or something, main dealer £6K++
He did it for £1K, a Polo cam belt £40, some jobs he won't even charge me :confused::)

Guys, holy topic resurrection!
I've just experienced something extremely weird today, and I think the problem might lay in these retaining clips.

My clutch cable failed, the riveted pin broke. triple A Came along and fixed it simply by putting an m4 bolt in the place of that original riveted pin. No problems, no slipping clutch or whatsoever. Once home, I thought i'd make the temporary fix a bit less temporary, by replacing the m4 bolt with an m6 bolt. Very simple job. After I fitted the m6 bolt, somehow the clutch slips like there's no tomorrow! It's not the clutch cable tension, cause even with the cable fully detached I could spin up the clutch in first, and normally it spins up the tires! Did I somehow deallocate something in the release mechanism, so the clutch can't fully grab the plate? The big "rod" thingy holding the clutch lever on the gearbox can travel up and down, If I look at the pictures of a simple 1.3 manual gearbox, it shouldn't ?
Is there any way to check if everything is ok without taking the box off?

any help much appreciated!

Back