Clutch problem

Got my clutch replaced in my 99 K11 5 months ago but in the past month I've been having problems with it.

When in traffic or changing from 1st to 2nd the clutch tends to stick coming up to the biting point, there is no smoothness in it at all. However this does not happen when I drive the car after it hasn't been started for a while i.e in the mornings.

There is at times also a friction noise coming from what sounds to be the pedal ( though im not 100% sure) when pushing it to the floor, the best way i can describe the noise is of it been similar to a door hinge in need of some oil but not as loud.

I've asked a couple of mechanics what they think and their opinions ranges from it been either the cable or dirt in the baring. As far as I know the cable is at its full potential so that is been replaced within the coming days.

pollyp

Club Member
if too much grease was smeared onto the input shaft collar that the release bearing slides along, dirt n dust would build up n mix with the grease into a thick dry paste increasing friction and making the clutch feel very heavy, stressing the rest of the clutch system and/or not releasing smoothly.

I use dry graphite powder to lube the release bearing rather than grease

frank

Club Member
The inner race of the release bearing has gone dry so the part of the box it slides on needs greasing.
+1 a strategically place hole and some chainlube sprayed onto the thrust bearing cured mine :)

PC020178.JPG

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
if too much grease was smeared onto the input shaft collar that the release bearing slides along, dirt n dust would build up n mix with the grease into a thick dry paste increasing friction and making the clutch feel very heavy, stressing the rest of the clutch system and/or not releasing smoothly.

I use dry graphite powder to lube the release bearing rather than grease
Thrust bearing needs grease ideally, graphite is only really suitable for the heaviest of duty operations (like lubricating the dies on a panel forming press with 20+ odd tons of force) and you won't get the benefit. At low pressures graphite powder is a poor lubricant. Lithium grease would be a much better option as it's not as sticky as oil based greases (used a lot in bicycles thrust bearings like on the headstock and cranks). On our NDT line at work, particularly on the developer powder booth we use PTFE spray for bearing surfaces (on pneumatic rams etc) as it dries non sticky (the powder gets everywhere!) and gives a nice low friction surface :)

U can adjust clutch cable at gear box I wouldn't spray oil in them holes in box that's ur fly wheel that u clutch goes on2 an it will slip if u oil it