Clutch Cable Adjustment

F

fejao

Hi,
People I have just notice that after getting my car back from the Nissan garage, that the bite point of the clutch is very low I only have to lift the clutch about 1-1.5" before I hit the bit point which to me seems quite low. However the problem I am having is that when I change up from 1 -2 and 2-3 it feels like I am catching the clutch or something is rubbin as I can feel it through the gearstick. So does anyone know what the problem could be? I am maybe thinking the clutch need adjusted to bring the bite point up. Is this easy to do?

Fejao x

well, its easy enough to do, i tighten mine up, because i preffer it like that to be honest... but if u want it higher ull need 2 ajustable spanners really, or at least one

to the left of the battery, right of the distributor, theres a cable with a thing on it, ajust that

- not much help but i dnt have a camera...

Thanks for the info. The car is going into Nissan next week for its service and they said they will look at it. I think the cable just need readjusted as when its cold its fine but when the car is warm (and the cable) the problems start, due to the cable becoming longer due to heat expansion, I think the bit point becomes even lower, too low that it causes the clutch to grind, me thinks....will see what happens after the service.

Fejao x

sounds to me like its not clearing properly, locate the cable on the top of the gearbox and you wil probably find it is pretty slack using a 10mm spanner release the locking nut and tighten a little by turning the wheel on the threaded end, not too much though you need to keep a little free play in it or the problem reverses and it never fully disengages!!!

First, Fejoa, how many miles does the car have on it? Has the clutch ever been replaced, do you know? What sort of driver owned the car before you.
Would he/she've been inclined to slip the clutch a lot? Could be it's just worn out and needs replacing. First, however, make sure the pedal is the correct distance from the floor panel. Haynes says 187 to 197mm. You need to take into account the thickness of the carpet also. If that's okay then try adjusting the clutch cable. But it is a very tight squeeze. The best and easiest way to do this is to remove the battery, negative cable off first. Then you can get down in there with a 10mm wrench. I cut one in half to make turning the nut easier. You might need a little penetrant spray (I like 3-In-One Professional. Halfords. Good stuff.) Haynes says there should be 11 to 15mm freeplay but some like a little more. When you've got it the way you want it, put the battery back in and crank it up. If you've still got clutch problems the clutch itself has probably had it.

A word about clutch cables: I just put two new ones in our Micras, thinking the old ones might be stretched or frayed, etc. The cars have 100 and 140 thousand miles on them and neither cable had ever been changed. Both old cables were exactly the same length as each other and exactly the same length as the new ones. They were not frayed and moved freely in the sheath. New cables are £30 plus from Nissan. Much cheaper on eBay.

Good luck

S

Back