Clutch advise please

Some of you may know I'm building a high comp engine but keeping the 1l gearbox. I've read around and people say the 1l clutch starts to slip around 100bhp+. I'm hoping to get over that figure so what can I do about the clutch because that seems like the weak link atm. Are there any upgrades for the 1l or am I best off finding a 1.3 gearbox.

Ill have to look into that frank. Is that in your n/a blog on Cisco micra website?
i think so mate :) i did a spare one yesterday, the old one is getting pretty thin now (tho polly and stani both tested it out fully on Saturday :D)

P9160004.JPG

I'm about to do this myself........defiantly LUK clutches, both cg10 and cg13 from preface lift models ?
Drill out rivets, bolt together with nylocs and cut 45degree angle on pressure plate

Anything else?

you have to use low profile heads on the bolts on the flywheel side neil (else they catch the f/w bolts) i used dome head ones look, but there is plenty of clearance on the cover side tho.
and this latest one, from a facelift has a bigger inner dia friction material (135mm instead of 125mm)

P9190008.JPG

you have to use low profile heads on the bolts on the flywheel side neil (else they catch the f/w bolts) i used dome head ones look, but there is plenty of clearance on the cover side tho.
and this latest one, from a facelift has a bigger inner dia friction material (135mm instead of 125mm)

View attachment 25483
Try get some panhead bolts maybe? Lower profile still I think

Try get some panhead bolts maybe? Lower profile still I think
the domehead ones give about 3mm clearance on my partworn plate, hex or cheeseheads would probably catch the f/w bolts once the plate was worn to the rivets :)

panheads should only be 2mm tall or so on the head is why I suggested it, more for if someone wants to try. of course if there is a tried and tested method I'd do that :)

View attachment 25483

Cool, so is that the centre from a pre f/l cg10 clutch......and the friction plate from a facelift cg13?

Gunna order clutches today.

@frank

Should I buy the 2 preface lift clutches, or the facelift cg13?
Thanks

I meant between the hybrid pre f/l clutch , or the hybrid pre f/l and face lift clutches youvr made.

If my rambling make sense :D

nah, you,ve lost me neil :) the stock 160mm clutches slip at about 100hp, the hybrid ones slip at about 140 i think

nah, you,ve lost me neil :) the stock 160mm clutches slip at about 100hp, the hybrid ones slip at about 140 i think
Lol no worries mate,
Il jus order the cg10 and cg13 pre f/l clutches

Once the coffees kicked in, I might make more sense

you might be able to hybrid an exedy one eh, 3 spring cushdrive, with 3 big rivets iirc, i,ve seen a couple of fractured ones tho, and my exedy diaphram/spring is a thinner material

yes, i would like to see a pic, it was apparently grinding/squealing from the day it was fitted
That is true, obviously something not right from the start. It was a massive chunk on the outside next to one of the springs broke off...

So I'm this far now.
etapuzep.jpg

I jus ground the heads of both sides of the rivets so
Could I jus weld a blob either side of this......
avumezyh.jpg

To stick it all back together? Or should I drill it out and use nut n bolts?

bolts and nyloc,s ideally neil, i sharpened a 6mm masonry drill personally (that driveplate is spring steel eh )

Cheers mate, thought this would be complicated but it's pretty simple to do ain't it :)
aye :) i slid the plate onto a shaft, and let it rotate while grinding the beveled edge neil, and i took a lick off the inside of the cover housing too

I'm to heavy handed to get things precise like that, I'm a fix it with hammers type if guy.....so bloke over the road has got it on a lathe ;)

so ive read all through this because im building a high comp as well. can you not just use a facelift 1.3 clutch?

i plan on using a facelift 1L gearbox, and i cant see why a 180mm clutch shouldnt stand up to the abuse.

so ive read all through this because im building a high comp as well. can you not just use a facelift 1.3 clutch?

i plan on using a facelift 1L gearbox, and i cant see why a 180mm clutch shouldnt stand up to the abuse.
you can tom, but neil and i would also need to change the f/w and shafts and mounts etc

sheer nissan silliness! oh well, good luck with your builds people!

on another note, Frank..... are the pre and post f/l blocks the same?

Back