Clunk, clunk, clunk

Hi,

I bought my ohter half a Micra yesterday, 1995, SLX, 50,000 miles and just in fantastic condition. Engine, gearbox, seats, etc... all like new. Just a superb car. When driving along though over bumps there is a clunk from the rear right. Not rear left as I can pick and choose small road imperfections to check which it occurs on.

Now I do not know the set up on these cars so am making a basic assumption that a suspension bush has gone. I can't replicate it by bouncing the car but that is likely to be that I just can't hit it up and down violently enough.

I am wondering if:

1. Anyone has experience of this and can clarify
2. If someone can suggest another cause
3. If someone can point me towards a diagram/description etc of how to remedy it myself
4. Where you'd recommend I get any parts needed.

Thanks for any help you can give, it is much appreciated.

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
its usually the anti roll bar link i believe :eek:

agreed had exactly the same problem on my car and then the MOT guys confirmed it, worn ball joint on the anti roll bar link. i went to the scrappy and got a new one and it was all good :)

I have examined the links. They seem okay although the rubber on the knocking side feels weaker and slightly displaced. Whether it is or not mind I can't be sure. I ordered one of them and will either replace before the MOT or see how it fares and do it after.

Quick question... is the link under pressure such that if I take off the old one I will need some special device to allow me to get the new one on or is it a case of just undo the 2 nuts, remove and replace? Also should i do it jacked up with the wheel off the ground or not?

Thanks for any and all help.

frank

Club Member
as long as the car is level there should be no pressure on it eh, but the rosejoints tend to spin round when you try to remove the nut tho :doh: and i usually rip the link off and clamp the ball with molies

pollyp

Club Member
clean the exposed threads from rust and spray wd40 before undoing the nut. if the nut gets stuck you can slip a spanner between the drip-link and the antiroll bar to hold the shaft steady then undo the nut. if the nut gets very stiff, back off and reclean/oil the threads