Clicking (valves?) when I turn off the engine...

When the engine is hot, after turning off i hear two or
three clicks, the noise is coming from the camshaft cover.
This is not happening when the engine is cold.
Yesterday, i pushed the engine harder than usual :) and i heard its clicking when idling.
As i turned it off it clicked maybe 10 times.
I suspect its the valves.
This morning everithing was normal
I use 10w40 oil, its recently changed.
My car has 145.000km ,could it be the timing chain because
its rattling.
Timing is slightly advanced from the distributor, because of the LPG, I drive it maybe a year that way,
but i noticed this things recently.

Anyone had a similar problem?

it only happens when the engine is hot and oil is thin.
I know it sounds like crankshaft bearings ,but the video is from inside and the sound is normalized so you can hear it :)

it only happens when the engine is hot and oil is thin.
I know it sounds like crankshaft bearings ,but the video is from inside and the sound is normalized so you can hear it :)

Well, i had a similar noise on my 1.0, like big end bearings, but only when the engine was hot but stopped, then restarted after a couple of minutes, after some seconds the noise disappears... o_O

Thats what confuses me, there is no noise when i start it or while the engine is running, only when stopped.
Ill post another wideo tomorrow.

the cushdrive springs tend to go sloppy mate, and that allows the clutch centre to float and rattle
You were right!
I turned off with the clutch pressed, and there was absolutely no clicking.
And because the springs are broken, when i shift gears when driving it makes sound like "dupp..." if i dont match the rpm.
Anyway, at least I know what is the problem and im happy :)

Problem solved thanks to Frank.

Just out of interest, what grade oil do you use if you have -15 C regularly?

That's cold! I'd definitely switch to a 5w30 for winter. A 10w40 is fine for hot weather :).

Back