Attachments

• thumb.jpeg
    thumb.jpeg
    10.8 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
While clear rear lights do exist (they were fitted on the 12SR for the Japan Domestic Market only), I rather suspect that the light in the advert that you posted the link to, is a standard light unit with the picture rendered in 'gray scale' and not a clear light at all........
In true 'Blue Peter' fashion, here's one I did earlier.......(picture of standard unit, rendered in gray scale).
K12 rear light gray scale.jpg

I 'evened up' mine by Removing the red inner lens on the drivers side unit and fitted a red bulb..... see 'HERE'

Last edited:
While clear rear lights do exist (they were fitted on the 12SR for the Japan Domestic Market only), I rather suspect that the light in the advert that you posted the link to, is a standard light unit with the picture rendered in 'gray scale' and not a clear light at all........
In true 'Blue Peter' fashion, here's one I did earlier.......(picture of standard unit, rendered in gray scale).
View attachment 71904
I 'evened up' mine by Removing the red inner lens on the drivers side unit and fitted a red bulb..... see 'HERE'

By coincidence I was reading your blog about he lights yesterday evening, great improvisation!

You've really pissed on my chips haven't you ha ha he he, I thought they looked unusual and at the same time "sexy"

I didn't even know clear rear lights were ever a thing, what is a 12SR?

I was so gutted after reading what you wrote I have emailed the manufacturer of those supposedly clear lights Van Wezel to confirm you are indeed right, I shall share their response (if they send one)

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
By coincidence I was reading your blog about he lights yesterday evening, great improvisation!

You've really pissed on my chips haven't you ha ha he he, I thought they looked unusual and at the same time "sexy"

I didn't even know clear rear lights were ever a thing, what is a 12SR?

I was so gutted after reading what you wrote I have emailed the manufacturer of those supposedly clear lights Van Wezel to confirm you are indeed right, I shall share their response (if they send one)
This is the spec of the 12SR:-
2008 Nissan March 12SR (man. 5) (model for Japan ) car specifications & performance data review

Specs datasheet with technical data and performance data plus an analysis of the direct market competition of Nissan March 12SR (man. 5) in 2008, the model with 5-door hatchback body and Line-4 1240 cm3 / 75.9 cui engine size, 81 kW / 110 PS / 109 hp (JIS net) of power, 134 Nm / 99 lb-ft of torque, 5-speed manual powertrain for Japan . Specifications listing with the outside and inside dimensions, fuel economy, top speed, performance factory data and ProfessCars™ estimation: this Nissan would accelerate 0-60 mph in 8.6 sec, 0-100 km/h in 9.5 sec and quarter mile time is 16.8 sec.
10151032_200508s.jpg

They were manufactured (as March), betyween 2004 and 2008, for the Japanese Domestic Market as a smaller engined version of the 160SR, to comply with Japanese taxation laws. Strangely all the pictures that I can find of 'standard' ones show coloured rear lights so it would appear that the clear ones are after market ones, only available in Japan....
Interesting that a tubular exhaust manifold and some cylinder head work appears to be able to 'liberate' a further 30 bhp from the standard 1.2 engine......
If the lights in the advert are indeed clear, they are a bargain at that price.........:cool:

My thoughts exactly, the 3 door body looks much nicer (and is probably stiffer than the 5 door one)....:cool:

So about the clear light clusters...

They are apparently clear, the explanation from the the German company is that only the turn signal is red, they mean amber and they mean the bulb. They are pictured exactly the same on at least 7 websites, still not convinced here, those answers from chat agent on autodoc.co.uk not a reply from Van Wezel yet

So about the clear light clusters...

They are apparently clear, the explanation from the the German company is that only the turn signal is red, they mean amber and they mean the bulb. They are pictured exactly the same on at least 7 websites, still not convinced here, those answers from chat agent on autodoc.co.uk not a reply from Van Wezel yet

Also if the photo was greyscale then wouldn't the bolt mounting area look like its been grayscaled so to speak as it does in your image but not in the images I posted

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Loosely related to topic.
I don't like clear/translucent/smoked tail lights. White turn signals looked silly.
Mine has turn signal portions taped with transparent orange/amber tape.

14770373.jpg

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Clear lenses? Can you upload an image please?
The standard rear indicator lenses on the K12, in the UK, are clear but a yellow bulb is fitted, which tends to give a 'fried egg' effect when looking at them. The silvered yellow bulbs stops this..... The picture below is my driver's side rear lamp, with the red internal lens for the high intensity rear light, removed .......
WP_20171127_003.jpg