cigarette lighter

B

Bennai

i have a k11 and i wnt a cigarette lighter for it all i have at the moment is a small blanking plate in a hole, is there newhere i cn get a cigartte lighter fitted to the car

if you take the plate off and pull the fascia forward slightly(2Xscrews behind ashtray...)
you should see the connector for the cig lighter...

this will power the lighter

but one @wilko's £2.99 brand new..

just been out to look, there is no connector for anything the only connector is the one for controlling the level of the headlights.

right then... if you confident of doing yourself you can splice into the wires that power your stereo...

yellow= battery 12v
black= ground
red= ign 12v

well, i wudnt b confident my my dads an electrician so he mite b able to have a bash, will any fuses be needed if so where?? thanks for help guys

shouldnt need fusing as the car radio will already be fused and u r only splicing into them wires however depends on what rating the fuse for radio is as a cig lighter needs to be low

5amp should b plenty

Could anyone put a pic up of the correct plug? I have found several taped up to various wiring looms but none seem to supply 12v (with ignition on).

Definately no brown plugs like that....

I've found 4 candiates around the dash, two above glove box taped up, neither with 12V. A small one taped up behind radio, again not 12V and the last one I just found is also taped - tucked behind the plastic in the passenger footwell. This has two ~5v and one 12V, which needs ignition on.

IMG_3321.JPG

(In the pic i've just popped out top left(as you look at it) which is one of the 12v pins, other 12v one is next to it, middle of top row(as you look at it) I cant remember which is +- though.)

Does anyone know what this is plug is for and if it would be ok for using as lighter socket power?
Its going to have a 150W invertor on it, but only to power PDA/phone chargers etc. - so probably 30W max load.

Thanks for your help

Thats waaaaaaayyyy to far back! Thats the engine loom your at!! See the white plug behjnd that - thats you ecu!
There should be a brown plug, toward the front of the dash.

hmm the definately isnt that i can see, what part of the wiring loom does it come out of usually? (i dont have any wiring diagrams as u can see :p)

If it makes any odds, its a v-plate 1L Micra 'Inspiration' (it isnt mine).

oooo you got an inspiration aswell, mines that and i cant find my brown plug either ! im going to take the whole of the dash out this sunday to re-spray it so going to look for it then, my car is a V plate 2000 reg. For some wierd reason they never put a cig lighter socket on as standard.

It is there - on all K11's, Its part of the Standard loom. Check in the fuse box, on for the Cig lighter is there!

Take the bottom part of the dash off, and its lying about there. I'm sure of it.

There is a blue 15 amp fuse in the fuse box for the lighter.

I have the bottom footwell sides off(as in pic) and the whole front panel off (the one that u need to remove headlight adjuster plug)
including removal of radio, there is no brown plug as far as I can see - where/what part of the loom does it spring from?

ive stuck my head into the centre dash and its nowhere to be seen, when i take my dash off im going to take pics etc so we will see where this mysterious plug is.

Can i just jump in here with my own cigarette lighter problem, I have one but its not working, is there a fuse i can replace, and where is it?

did anyone who was tearing their micra appart this w/e manage to find the plug for the lighter?

hello people, good news ! ive found my cig lighter plug ! i was in the process of taking out my dashboard yesterday, need to take the steering colum out so going to do it another day, cleaned my dash in full, resprayed. i went war driving last night with my lappy and a cig - 13amp convertor was so kool to have my cig lighter workin !!!

right guys here is a picture of where the cig wire is situated its a black cable with a black plug on the end of it, didnt have time to take the plastic bits off but i have circled where mine was, its really tucked underneath the carpet.

Attachments

• speaker wire.JPG
    speaker wire.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 3,220
Holy sh*t PaddyMarsden is a genius.

I saw that wire from the start and gave it abit of a tug but figured as it was only wire going down and near the handbrake so it was something to do with its sensor and didnt want to tug on it too much incase it pulled off.
Anyway I just went out to discover it in the pitch black and here is a pic of the elusive little thing.

For anyone else trying to find this - there seems to be quite a few people - just remove the plastic panel that is between the handbrake housing and centre console, there are only 2 screws on each side, (one of which on mine was so tight it had never been proply done up from new.)

The black wire runs flush to the metal on the right and straight down into the carpet. Now you can recognise the right one you can give it a good yank rather than having to peel carpet back which is abit of pain to refit like I did as I wasnt too sure.

IMG_3367.JPG

happy now mate :-D im glad i could be of service, is it working ok ? it might smell funny for a few days because its heating up for the first time.

Hi! It might be a stupid question, but the lighter socket I've bought has a red and a black cable coming out of it. I understand where I should plug the red in, but where does the black go? It has just a loose end, with no plug on it. Thanks!

Oh, thanks for the swift reply!!! So should I just stick the end of it to something metal, a screw or what I can find there? Or do I leave it hanging? Thanks and apologies for asking so basic things, this is the first time I venture into my car :) But if it works out it won't be the last, I need to change couple of things now (heater fan, windscreen washer pump). Thanks!

Everyone starts somewhere.
You can attach it to a screw of some kind just be wary of other elecrical connections. As long as it touches the body of the car in some way you'll be fine :)

Thought I would add this to make it easier.

No need to bother with the LED light wiring unless you really want it. You can break the LED light section off the coloured (green/orange) translucent plastic collar that surrounds the lighter socket.

Simply use a pair of cutting pliers to ensure that you only cut/snap off the LED part as you will need the round part of the translucent plastic collar to make the actual lighter socket fit snug in the hole and not fall through.

Then simply connect the "T" shaped connector to the back of the lighter socket (it can only go on one way). Mine just worked without having to bother with fuses (I believe the cig lighter is a 15 amp). Throw the LED light and it's wiring away if you can't think of another use for it. Easy peasy!

Cant find a single positive wire for the light on collar. Can i power it by splicing the power wire going to the lighter or do i need some other way to do it.... please advice.

Back