Check engine light and overdrive light

Hello everyone,

I own a 2002 Nissan March K12 with auto transmission. A few days back, after work, when I got to the car to return back home, the check engine light remained on even after the car had been started. While the light was on, the engine would not accelerate even if the accelerator pedal was depressed all the way. I turned the car off and turned it on again. It was back to normal, to lights on the dash were on.

Yesterday, on my way back home, I stopped at a shop to pick up some groceries. When I started the car after shopping, the check engine light remained on and the engine would not accelerate as it did a few days ago. I tried switching off and on again as I did earlier. Did it twice but the light remained on. I had to drive the car with the light on and no acceleration all the way home, somehow managed it as I was not far from home. Upon reaching I switched off the car and turned it on again. This time, the check engine remained on and the overdrive light started flashing. I turned off the overdrive and turned it on again. The overdrive light went off. I switched off the car and turned it on again. This time the check engine light also turned off. I tried turning off and on again a second time, this time, too, the car was normal and also revved / accelerated normally. This morning I started the car to go to work and it has been normal so far except a little jerking when idling at a traffic light with the gear lever in D, brake depressed. After that it has been normal so far. I do approx 10kms to work dropping my kids at school on the way and same on my way back.

Has anyone experienced this?? any help solving this shall be of great help......thanks.

Hi Salim

Sorry to hear your having trouble.

Your car symptons could be from a valve, sensor or solenoid.

You can do a diagnostic test if you have one it will indicate fault on the ECU as a limited amount number of faults can be displayed via the overdrive warning light. fault codes are considered Emissions related are not stored in the TCM but in the ECU.

You can carry out a fault diagnosis with your gearbox.

1. Park on flat surface, move selector to P position, turn ignition off and apply the handbrake

2. Turn the ignition off and wait at least 5 seconds

3. Turn the ignition on. The overdrive off lamp will be on for 2 seconds

4. Turn the ignition off and wait ay least 5 seconds

5. Press the shift lock release button and move the selector from P to D

6. Turn the ignition on. Do Not start the car

7. Press and hold the overdrive control switch. The warning light will be on

8. Keep pressing the overdrive switch and move the lever to position 2. The warning light will be on

9. Release the overdrive switch. The warning light is still on

10. Move the level to the 1 position. The warning light will be on

11. Press and hold the overdrive control switch. The warning light is off

12. Depress the accelerator pedal fully while pressing the overdrive switch.

13. Any recorded faults will now be shown as a series of flashes from the overdrive off warning light

14. End the sequence by turning the ignition off for at least 5 seconds

N.B.

The start of the sequence is always a 2 second ON period followed by a series of twelve 1 second ON and 1 second OFF flashes from the warning light EXCEPT a low voltage fault which is indicated by 4 flashes per second. A fault is indicated by a longer flash at some point in the sequence and check the description

Position of longest flash. (flash def
All equal. System good
1. Vehicle speed sensor(gear/b)
2. Same as above(engine
3. Accelerator position sensor
4. Shift solenoid valve A
5. Same as above valve B
6. Overrun clutch solenoid valve
7. Torque convertor C/s valve
8. Fluid temp sensor
9. Engine speed signal
10. Turbine revolution sensor
11. Line pressure solenoid valve
12. CAN communication line

If a fault is detected a thorough check of all wiring connectors and earth points of the faulty components circuit should be checked first.

Hole this helps : )

Back