MICRAPOWER!
Club Member
i thought of a cheaper solution of repairing the crack in my exhaust manifold
by using this wrap from nimbus motorsports

http://www.nimbusmotorsport.co.uk/ProdShop2.asp?id=759&CATID=267
accompanied by this
http://www.nimbusmotorsport.co.uk/ProdShop2.asp?id=614&CATID=267

i am rather uncertain about the outcome of using such wrap and sealant to stop
the problem and any help would be much appreciated.

i would quite happily just change the entire exhaust manifold as i have another one, but it looks like the bolts are going to sheer or snap off if i try and get them off, one bolt has already sheered off somehow where it links to the 1st cat but its still holding well...

if anyone also knows a miraculous technique to get the manifold off please let me know!

thanks!

you wont stop it leaking with anything other than welding it
theres to much pressure even welds can be blown off

best bet would be to put that other manifold on

soak all the bolts/nuts with wd40 leave it over night and by morning they will be easier to get off (dont be shy with the wd)

if the bolts sheer/snap off how will i fix that though?

also does anyone know of a good place to get the gasket for between the top of the 1st cat (attached to exhaust manifold) and bottom of 1st cat? Unipart don't sell them for some reason :/

what does everyone else think?

cheers

matters were they snap sometimes your lucky and there still some of the bolt showing you can get a pair of grip and try and turn it or just drill it out and re-thread

the gasket its metal so it can be reused (i think) if not it will have to be nissan or make your own

thanks alot for for your help.
the idea of being stuck with a micra(my only car)with no exhaust system is quite scary!

that jb weld stuff looks pretty strong but i cant imagine it withstanding the heat...

i have looked some brazing rods for an easy alternative to welding but might just try and get it welded well...so if it cracks again i'll defo have to change it!

will wrapping it with heat tape like above really increase performance and reduce
temperatures under the bonnet considerably once repair is done?

iirc heat wrapping ups performance but means that moisture will get into your manifold quicker and it will decay!

Attachments

• PICT0048.JPG
    PICT0048.JPG
    850.9 KB · Views: 528
my old 309 had a huuge crack in it, and it passed its mot with jb weld on it... wonderfull stuff that,

and Andrew page will do the exhaut gasket for you. probs only 80p

frank: is that a insurance friendly "heat shield" by any chance ?

antony: andrew page?

cheers for the advice guys!

I was just about to order some JB Weld for my manifold, to fix a leak where the 2-1 pipes join....however I've now read on their site that its not suited to manifold/exhaust systems due to the high temperatures.

Doh :(

looks like you're exhaust manifold tweaker then frank!

i'm thinking of just plain getting it welded up and heat wrap it. could this be what is causing my engine to die at low revs, lack of pressure in the exhaust system? not letting all the crap out fast enough?

thanks for the info guys
i was so tempted to buy some of that jb weld stuff!:(

------------------------------------------------------------------
change of plan... GREAT FIND:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THERMOSTEEL-HIGH-TEMP-REPAIR-MANIFOLDS-OVENS-STOVES_W0QQitemZ370046759122QQihZ024QQcategoryZ38786QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

cost me £4.95 thanks to a paypal voucher! hoping it will come soon and will provide feedback ASAP! the seller has 96 left so no rush!

(Ed has edited this post because it was so Fragmented)

I was just about to order some JB Weld for my manifold, to fix a leak where the 2-1 pipes join....however I've now read on their site that its not suited to manifold/exhaust systems due to the high temperatures.

Doh :(

Give it a go, worst thing that can happen is that you end up with the same problem...

thermosteel arrived today, just put it on after my car cooled down from the drive home. Should be set in about an hour or two now i hope
got LOOOOAAADS left!
its some pretty good stuff, like cement for steel!

this product has proved itself to be quite good, fully cured on a little gentle midnight trip to tesco last night!

unfortunatly theres no noticeable change in performance.

but i reckon it has sealed the crack

would reccomend as i have loads of the stuff left still for various other jobs
so good value for money really!

i'm hoping it will pass MOT with it on there, might heat wrap around it and cover up

hoping heat wrap will improve perf. too

any questions/thought/advice appreciated as always

you wont notice any difference in performance by heat raping it just keeps engine bays cooler there for reducing intake temps

problem with the micra is the bonnet has a seal at the back and when its closed the hot air cant go anywhere and builds up resulting in high intake temps

that why ive raised my at the back to get rid of that hot air

you wont notice any difference in performance by heat raping it just keeps engine bays cooler there for reducing intake temps

problem with the micra is the bonnet has a seal at the back and when its closed the hot air cant go anywhere and builds up resulting in high intake temps

that why ive raised my at the back to get rid of that hot air

yeah

hot air generally doesn't go down i guess!

XD

i might just relocate my air induction well away from the super hot manifold!

cheers for the advice

johnsams please try not to press enter several times for every new sentence you type. I'm quite sure your able to form flowing text better than you are trying to at the moment.

Back