Chassis stiffening foam

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
I heard somewhere about a 2 part Polyurethane foam that you spray into the sills/crossmembers/any other stressed part. It's claimed it'll stiffen up anywhere from 40-300% and it's safer in an accident than stitch welding.

Anyone tried this stuff before? Any thoughts?

I saw that on Juns website. I tried doing my front chassis legs with expanding foam, made a mess and was difficult to use so gave up!

Could see it causing problems when I have to weld foam filled sections.

Yeah, the welding is an issue, I'm going to choose a car with a galvanised chassis so I don't have to worry about rust.

Pretty sure theres a couple vids about iirc (maybe even a guide), one from japan and one from the us or possibly uk...cant say how well it works, but it does have to a be a special foam and of a higher strength / quality than the like you can buy in cans.

Actually thinking about it, pretty sure theres a site that covers the foam density you need...not that i can remember where i read about it.

In theory it should work, cos if you compared a balloon filled with air and a balloon filled with the correct foam, only one is really gonna give. How well it works in practice or how much weight you;ll add i cant say... :)

They say 2 pounds per cubic ft is a low density one which will give you the 40% stiffening. Apparently it works in the same way your windscreen works by having a soft sheet in between 2 hard sheets.

I think it'd be worth it to keep road noise down

Back