• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Chapter 2... Micra Dot Rising To The Top

Okay, think I'm going to try this setup...

Got the spring cap at the bottom with the bearing.. Big washer sitting on the bearing.. Top mount on the washer... Washers inside the top mount to fill the gap and stop any side to side movement.. Then a big washer on top of the mount for the nut to be tightened to compress it all :)

The rubbers are still reasonably effective.. Haven't completely packed the centre of the mount, so there's still gaps between the top and bottom of the mount, so both of the big washers are sitting on rubbers :) il try and fit them tommorow and report back :)
image.jpg

Lucky I didn't attempt it then haha, front are done, gona have the tracking done in a bit as it's all over the road! Next couple of days il have to adjust the camber too

I found front tracking and camber only cost £45 and got a before and after printout with showing your setup. At that price seems daft not to have it done professionally eh

I cant personslly remember how mine was done but just the basic set up, originally I had micra top mounts on them and as frsnk mentioned it nearly wore through and made one hell of a clatter all the time, so I got another set and used corsa top mounts and simply put them together as frank has demonstrated, but not sure if theres pictures in my thread. But it drove really well and handles well, I just removed them because I wanted the money! If a little bumpy lol

the set up i got now seems okay, no rattles, steerings no heavier than it was.. just got to adjust the camber on it now :) .. whats the best camber angle to use out of experience? or should i set it to the original camber angle.. whatever that is?

making slow but steady progress ! so one thing thats bugging me is the fact that i don't have intermittent wipers... i know it sounds very fussy.. but it bugs the hell out of me as they are either constant on or off o_O

soooo... i went to maplin and bought a intermittent timer kit

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/mk111-adjustable-timer-kit-with-relay-output-vt27e

So now i need some help wiring it hmm... it has 5 connectors on it, 12v, earth, Common, NC and NO... so what wires would go where would any of you know?? i want to do it in a way that on the first stalk position it is intermittent, then the second stalk position is as normal

making slow but steady progress ! so one thing thats bugging me is the fact that i don't have intermittent wipers... i know it sounds very fussy.. but it bugs the hell out of me as they are either constant on or off o_O

soooo... i went to maplin and bought a intermittent timer kit

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/mk111-adjustable-timer-kit-with-relay-output-vt27e

So now i need some help wiring it hmm... it has 5 connectors on it, 12v, earth, Common, NC and NO... so what wires would go where would any of you know?? i want to do it in a way that on the first stalk position it is intermittent, then the second stalk position is as normal
my guess would be the 12v and earth to power the unit luca, and the common is the motor + wire, and the nc and no are the pulse and pause outlet wires (you just need the pause one eh)

NO= normally open
NC= normally closed
common =switch power in
I THINK (without looking at the instructions) that you would a have 12v feed to the common, then from the NO to the wiper motor positive. Then, have a switched feed to the Positive and a wire from earth to an earthing point. Switching the switch will engage the intermittent feature. There should be no problem having the intermittent switched on AND the wipers on at the stalk :)
(if, with the wipers off at the stalk, switching the intermittent switch doesn't cause the wiper to move immediately, swap the NO wire to NC)

The timer circuict controls how long the coil is engaged and disengaged for, which pulls the switch and causes intemitent feed to the wiper motor. I'm guessing there is a couple of potentiometers (screw adjustments) to adjust the on/off balance and the time for one complete cycle

NO= normally open
NC= normally closed
common =switch power in
I THINK (without looking at the instructions) that you would a have 12v feed to the common, then from the NO to the wiper motor positive. Then, have a switched feed to the Positive and a wire from earth to an earthing point. Switching the switch will engage the intermittent feature. There should be no problem having the intermittent switched on AND the wipers on at the stalk :)
(if, with the wipers off at the stalk, switching the intermittent switch doesn't cause the wiper to move immediately, swap the NO wire to NC)

For the NO, does this have to be connected just before the motor or would it be at the stalk? because iv found the wire that operates the first stalk position (I think) as with that wire disconnected everything else works apart from the first position

TBH I would put it at the stalk and put it on the low speed setting wire (wherever), that way it won't accidentally give you a fast intermittent wiper that ends up out of synch

i would wire it into the 1st position personally luca, and still keep the fast-wipe option, then fit dial-able pot on the dash, for the dwell adjustment

Iv Sussed it!

So here's how it worked best,

12v feed on a switch to the 12v on the board, ground is obviously just grounded.

Then the green with red stripe wire is the wire for the first position, cut that, the wire from the stalk goes into NO and the other side that goes to the motor goes to COM.

Then to get the wipers to automatically go back to the start position you get a feed from the orange with black stripe wire to go to NC... This way even if you switch the wipers off or the pulse timing is slightly out of sync.. It will always go back to the correct position.

Iv Sussed it!

So here's how it worked best,

12v feed on a switch to the 12v on the board, ground is obviously just grounded.

Then the green with red stripe wire is the wire for the first position, cut that, the wire from the stalk goes into NO and the other side that goes to the motor goes to COM.

Then to get the wipers to automatically go back to the start position you get a feed from the orange with black stripe wire to go to NC... This way even if you switch the wipers off or the pulse timing is slightly out of sync.. It will always go back to the correct position.
Want to do a rough wiring diagram for future reference? :)

When cutting the rear spring to lower the car, how much should i cut off for about 30mm? I think they have already been cut before by will930 to lower by approx 50mm so looking for a further 20-30mm

okay, so iv finally got round to lowering the back a touch, fitted the corsa B shocks and cut half a coil on each spring, so the rear is basically where I want it, not too low but low enough! :)

only problem now is that the ride is rock hard! :eek:, don't know if its because of the shocks or the springs..? it was no where near as hard with that extra 1/2 coil!

what you mean by preload?? as in the spring is compressed to much for the shocks?, yeah I think it was lowered by 1 coil before I got it if I'm not mistaken

Are they standard corsa b shocks or corsa b lowering shocks? Also, are you using the bump stops from the micra shocks?

They are corsa b lowering shocks and I'm using the bump stops that they came with, have I done it wrong??
Corsa b lowering shocks are very stiff, no getting away with that. If they were stock corsa shocks it might have been you were sitting on the bumpstops, bit its just very stiff shocks.

Can you even preload a k11 spring?
That extra coil will have increased the spring rate a tad. If the shocks are stiff as our enuo states then that'll contribute? :)

It'll be the shocks irrespectove of the springs. Cut micra springs aren't stiff enough, cut b2 passat springs are pretty bob on and 225lb/in coilover springs aren't toooo far off for my lowering shocks, but will vary depending on the manufacturer. But stiff shocks give a stiff ride and I think that's your problem

Not for a long while they're designed to last

Without springs, the shocks are useless so it has everything to do with springs ;)
Are they really that resistive for a similar sized car

Back