Changing Timing Chain Guide?

13010013.jpg

it took us just over an hour to remove the w**ky bumper, but once that was off the rest started flying off.

found lots of other things wrong -

broken earth cable to the alternator
possible source to the oil leak
needs a new aux belt which is mega cracked

also the car needs a new air con pump, does anyone know which one is the correct replacement? been trying to fond one on ebay

its a 52 plate k12 1.4 micra

13010011.jpg

13010013.jpg

it took us just over an hour to remove the w**ky bumper, but once that was off the rest started flying off.

found lots of other things wrong -

broken earth cable to the alternator
possible source to the oil leak
needs a new aux belt which is mega cracked

also the car needs a new air con pump, does anyone know which one is the correct replacement? been trying to fond one on ebay

its a 52 plate k12 1.4 micra

13010011.jpg

There should be a carlsonic? Green sticker on the side with part number. Or you can check on www.nissan4u.com

sadly there is no sticker, ill check it out thanks

Unfortunately there's about a million different types (well when I was looking for k11 one) eventually I thought I found the right one but the pipes are too big (yet the part number apparently fits. Grr)

many thanks

so i just go with 1, which is the whole unit??

also how come there is no info on the planet on parking sensors?? no info on this forum and i cat find any info on that part site you just linked to?

****ing micra!!

many thanks

so i just go with 1, which is the whole unit??

also how come there is no info on the planet on parking sensors?? no info on this forum and i cat find any info on that part site you just linked to?

####ing micra!!

I think the one that says compressor unit is the one you want.

BLASPHEMY :O

ok were a tad stuck

drained the oil and removed the bottom sump cover and there are two bolts on show which we have removed in order to get the timing chain cover off. all bolts have been removed from the timing chain cover but something is holding it on.

now when under the car and look up into the sump there is a third screw, but you just cannot get anything to it to undo it. does this need to be removed???

does anyone know how many bolts there are from the sump into the timing chain cover?​

when we do them at work we drop the engine mate and strip it on a bench i havent done one but the lads say theres a few bolts tucked away underneath

i doubt if you can do it without removing the intermediate sump andy (which is why you have to pull the g/box away from the engine iirc)

Hmm, only just got the car and mabey its the fact its chain not belt but it sounds rough, and when i listen close is sounds like a slight knocking or ticking of somesort coming from the area where the chain inspection panel is... thoughs?

Cheers Steve :)

ok so some photos

here is a photo looking directly up into the engine with the sump panel removed.
the two red are bolts which we have removed as we believe these hold the timing chain cover on.
the green line is where the timing chain cover is
the blue bolt is the bolt we cant get to but and unsure if we need to remove this or not?

13010044Large1.jpg

rest of the pics

13010045Large.jpg

a photo of the bolt which is blocked by metal

13010046Large.jpg

bolt again

13010049Large.jpg

oil strainer we believe the haynes manual says to remove

13010048Large.jpg

looking from the bottom of the engine at the timing chain cover

13010047Large.jpg

then my phone battery died

the haynes manual is a piece of wank, the biggest waste of £20 i ever spent. it simple says remove the bolts and remove the timing chain cover... yeah real helpful.

getting the timing chain cover off is the last part so any info or help would be really great

yes well and truly sandwiched eh, and if its like the CG, doweled x 2 also, there,s a guy on ebay that unpins the chain and feeds the new one through apparently

theres a guy on ebay from up north who fits timing chains for £250, so he clearly doesnt remove the engine to do it.

so its possible, if i could get the timing chain cover off all would be good

forgot to add the engine mount is on in them last few photos, when were working we remove it and support the engine on a jack

theres a guy on ebay from up north who fits timing chains for £250, so he clearly doesnt remove the engine to do it.

so its possible, if i could get the timing chain cover off all would be good
he,s the one i mean, the old biker "split the chain" trick

trouble is if you cant get the timing chain cover off you would be able to see the position of the bottom pully, which would make lining everything up very tricky

but if you cant see it you cant align it.

the marks on the pullys are so out its unreal, nothing lines up in the slightest

i align my CG,s with the lobes pointing at the side of the cap bolt (the red marks) and as long as the crank pulley is on the 2nd notch (tdc) its spot on.
but you have the vtec inlet complication too (which that guy will have sussed out i guess)

ti.jpg

I have done this job on several occasions and what Frank is telling you is correct. The upper aluminium sump has to come off to releases the timing cover. Even if you did manage to get the cover off with sump on, you would damage the front of the Head Gasket and you would never get the cover back on.
You need to undo the Bellhousing bolts, push gearbox away from engine slightly, then undo all bolts from sump to remove. This is why as Belly 93 has said alot of people remove the engine to do this job. It can be done with engine in situ but be very carefull as when front engine mount is off and gearbox is un-bolted from engine only your jack will be supporting the engine and it will move around loads!
The red arrowed bolts in your pic are not timing case fixings, there just the front fixing bolts for the upper sump (one just happens to go into the timing case) The blue arrowed bolt is one of the fixings for the oil strainer (it has two) they are bolted into the bottom of the oil pump, which is part of the timing case (again access to these bolts is possible after removing upper sump)
Sorry unless you can seperate chain and feed it through as has been previously mentioned, there is no quick way of doing this. :(

thanks for the useful info.

have undone the sump and broken the seal, but it will not come off. something inside is preventing it from actually being taken off, not a bolt of anything as its completely loose

what a totally wank deisgn why the fook is the oil strainer bolted to the timing chain cover.

so currently the sump is loose and the timing chain cover is loose but i cannt get both off, how the hell do you do it?

I have done this job on several occasions and what Frank is telling you is correct. The upper aluminium sump has to come off to releases the timing cover. Even if you did manage to get the cover off with sump on, you would damage the front of the Head Gasket and you would never get the cover back on.
You need to undo the Bellhousing bolts, push gearbox away from engine slightly, then undo all bolts from sump to remove. This is why as Belly 93 has said alot of people remove the engine to do this job. It can be done with engine in situ but be very carefull as when front engine mount is off and gearbox is un-bolted from engine only your jack will be supporting the engine and it will move around loads!
The red arrowed bolts in your pic are not timing case fixings, there just the front fixing bolts for the upper sump (one just happens to go into the timing case) The blue arrowed bolt is one of the fixings for the oil strainer (it has two) they are bolted into the bottom of the oil pump, which is part of the timing case (again access to these bolts is possible after removing upper sump)
Sorry unless you can seperate chain and feed it through as has been previously mentioned, there is no quick way of doing this. :(

Have you pushed the gearbox back?? It will not fully clear if the gearbox is bolted to the engine, even if it feels loose. Also sometimes they get stuck on the dipstick tube (the rubber seal goes dry and seizes in the sump.) The manifold bracket is also bolted to sump iirc so that will also need removing.
The oil stainer is bolted to the oil pump which is mounted in the front cover. It is done this way so it can be driven directly from a large keyway on the crank, instead of having a seperate chain to drive it.

i have removed the 3 bolts from the sump going into the gear box, but not touched the gear box yet. i was hoping to leave it alon to be fair

this car is really fooing us off, we have given up getting the timing chain cover off. were going to try and split the chain and feed it round

Back