Changing thermostat

neilos

Ex. Club Member
Okay, so I've got the thermostat, I got some of that sealant gooyie stuff.

Does anyone know how to change the thermostat on a '98 GX?

My local Halfords didn't have any manuals left...o_O

Ta muchly in advance.

remove the bottom radiator hose (for ease of catching coolant without major loss) and replace when most of coolant has come out. now working on the top hose, engine side, undo the 3? 10mm bolts that secure the thermostat housing, remove housing (it may be stuck on well with sealer) and remove thermostat (not sure how these are help in place, maybe just tightly, but i think someone mentioned it being tacked? o_O). clean off most of the old sealer on the housing before you apply new. now rebuild. and fill coolant, ensuring to remove all trapped air from system.
i think that's the general gist of it

when i put my thermostat in, first scrapped off all the old sealant. made sure surfaces r clean then apply a lil sealant to the ridge before inserting the thermo (check the lil valve is positioned at top) so that it'll stay in place. then put bead of sealant along the covers mating surface and reinstall.

make sure the thermostat has this lil one-way valve on it (right pic) cos one i got from partco didn't (left pic), which meant the system couldn't fill up. waste of a fiver.
i ended up buyin the proper one from dealership for a tenner.
p1010122copykl1.jpg

Back