changing steering wheel (SRS)

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
The current steering wheel in my PRE-facelift K11 a SRS airbag steering wheel,which is this rubber material and when its really hot i can twist the steerin wheel and it aint that nice to drive when its hot.

At my scrap yard i've found a standard SRS airbag steering wheel in a FACE LIFT k11 but with a better material and a more sporty look.Something like this (mainly the grip design either side)

mrangelarge.jpg

How difficult is it to disable the airbag in both cars,remove the steering wheel and replace it with the new one.

I think i've lost my Haynes so all help would be appreciated!

Disconnect the battery for 24 hours, they hold a charge, you don't want one of them going off with the steering wheel bolt undone.

Some bloke at Arnolds local scrapyard was showing how airbags go off, and their sheer force. Would he have connected the battery for that then?

Personally, i wouldn't go anywhere near it, disconnected or not! If it goes off when you have a screwdriver in your hand....................

coming from a nissan trained technician, you only need disconnect the battery for 15mins, they only hold charge for about 5mins (why whould it need any longer??? it's incase the battery is affected during a crash before the airbag is needed.).
yes it's a straight swap. there are three covers on the back of the wheel, two for bolts and one for access to the airbag connection. after waiting 15mins after disconnecting battery undo the airbag connector. then undo the two bolts (they are security/tamperproof torx bolts T50 i think), put the airbag modual on the passenger floor with the nissan badge facing up, they should be stored in a cage but i never have. hey presto the airbag is off and your face is still intact. lol. then remove the wheel like a normal wheel (19mm nut). making sure to line up the indicator stalk canceler, it's 3 white pegs that go into the back of the wheel
when the wheels are swapped over, bolt the airbag up first then re-connect the airbag then battery.
i've done loads like this when i worked in a nissan garage and at home, without any problems.

Back