changing ST oil is F#$%#D!

smidge

Small Car Enthusiast
Site Supporter
hands up who else hates it?

not the most useful thread i know but FFS what a prick of a job

no car i've ever owned has been that difficult

Bit of a disaster if the oil filter is welded on but ive got a cool oil filter removal tool to do the job.still the hardest car 2do by far

i got one of those contraptions that has three claws and tightens over the filter as you undo it but the clutch cable and brackets and all sorts of stuff gets in the way

also, should the filter have an anti drain back valve?

if worst came to worst could you not get a long screwdriver and a hamer and chisel it off, that's what i had to do when i change my oil last time

even getting those tools up under there is a mission and a half

speaking of oil, anyone changed the oil in their supercharger?

good point dunno how i managed to do it but i no my knucles where destroyed after, ive never changed the oil in my supercharger, i no this is stupid but i dint no u cud haha

i'd do it but got NO idea what type of oil to use

all in japlish and a search of the kind of oil brings up nawt

id say baz or ed will no how to do it m8, my st is getin a full respray at the moment shud be fin in bout 2 weeks cant wait to show everyone the pics, i gave baz my old bypass valve last week to play round with it, did you ever take apart your original 1 to c whats inside?

id say baz or ed will no how to do it m8, my st is getin a full respray at the moment shud be fin in bout 2 weeks cant wait to show everyone the pics, i gave baz my old bypass valve last week to play round with it, did you ever take apart your original 1 to c whats inside?

Warren, please do not use text speak

If I'm in my own time, I love mucking on trying to do awkward jobs - spark plugs in an Impreza is one of my, er, fond memories of working in a garage.
Is there any way you can move the engine in any direction, even by a couple of inches?

If I'm in my own time, I love mucking on trying to do awkward jobs - spark plugs in an Impreza is one of my, er, fond memories of working in a garage.
Is there any way you can move the engine in any direction, even by a couple of inches?

Absolutely no need 2move the engine!

hands up who else hates it?

not the most useful thread i know but FFS what a prick of a job

no car i've ever owned has been that difficult

Clearly you've never tried aircraft fitting! :)

Wire lockings that have to be bar tight, in tiny little spaces that you can barely fit your hand into, sounds like your oil change is a piece of cake! :)

I never have a problem with this, I wrap a wire around it and pull the wire which unwinds the oil filter, takes a few mins :)

Use 0w40 oil.

I was told that pretty much all s/c's will use the same oil as you use on an air compressor.

Some sc's actually have dip sticks and holes for refilling the oil but not this one.

The model is an Aisin AMR500 in the ST. So you may be able to find some info on them to help you. But everyting I've found so far says to use air compressor oil.

Some sc's actually have dip sticks and holes for refilling the oil but not this one.

Yes it does.

Also to add the AMR500 on the ST displaces 500cc/rev and is capable of about 150 ish bhp.
Max pully rpm is 10,000.

Ed

the SC has a dipstick?... saw what looks like the holes for draining and refilling the thing, not game to do it without knowing how much oil it's supposed to take and what type

compressor oil makes sense obviously..

I've had a look around for ya, man. I couldn't find much in relation to the AMR500 specifically. However I did get some info about the SC12, a larger capacity sc by aisin (and would seem is the same basic internal set up??).

The SC12 will take about 150ml of oil, but you only need about 100ml for it to work properly for at least a year. So I imagine you'd be safe with about 80+ml.

The SC12 was used on a 1.6 Toyota engine and the Toyota part number for the sc oil is 08885-80108. That's 50ml.

However, a cheaper alternative for us aussies is holden part number 12345982 which is 120ml and will set ya back about $30. And is the exact same oil.

Hope that helps some.

PS: The AMR500 was also used on a V6 Pajero that was released in Australia so there would be a Nissan equivalent if you wanted to try Nissan Australia. The cheapest option however is airconditioner compressor oil...apparently its also the same stuff and has been used on sc12s with no side effects.

oh cool if the same unit is on ANY aussie delivered car then we are totally sweet as far as ordering parts and oil etc etc

any more details on what pajero? Thanks HEAPS for that legwork mate, really appreciate it

The ST supercharger has a dipstick, so use that to guess oil level. Not a comparison with something else!

I mis-informed you about the pajero(being that its a mitsu :blush: ) and I couldn't find the info about the other nissan that used an AMR500 (maybe I dreamt it, but I was sure I read there was a v6 ute that used it). But the VG33ER was supercharged if you particularly wanted to go through nissan for the oil. They were in 2001-04 Xterras and Frontiers.

I got the impression you either couldn't locate or may have been missing your dipstick, hence why I did the comparisson to the SC12. I wasn't trying to refute anyone elses knowledge and I'm always happy to be corrected. Maybe someone with more knowledge than I can direct you to the location of the dipstick... I was just trying to give something back since I get so much info from these forums, sorry if I mis-led you...I'm on a big learning curve too...

There is a nut which is visible on the supercharger pulley end, see pic.

This should have a dipstick on it. Be warned when you remove it, mine was under pressure.

Also please don't ever take (just in case you were) what I say personally. I post very much to the point, its just my nature.

Ed

Attachments

• scoil.jpg
    scoil.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 758
I didnt take it personally, Ed. I know you are always factual and to the point with your posts and I appreciate that ;)

Back