Changing sides for indicator stalk?

BG101

Ex. Club Member
Has anyone done this, and if so is it fairly straightforward? I think it's daft having the indicators on the left side (presumably a cost-saving measure as it would be standard on LHD cars) because it's impossible to change gear and indicate at the same time, which is becoming increasingly necessary with traffic lights being installed on roundabouts (one of my pet hates).

If it's simply a case of swapping the stalks over and the associated wiring, I'll go for it :)

- BG -

If you can't make time to change gear then indicate then maybe you need to slow down a little? I've never come across any island where I'd have to change gear and indicate at the same time.

I dont see how thats a problem, you decide when to change gear and indicate, so just dont decide to do them both at the same time, indicate a little earlier than you normally would, then change gear

I know what you mean, indicating while changing gear is difficult, you could do it, however your indicators wouldn't self cancel (mine never did anyway cos of my sports steering wheel) also your wipers would be switched on upwards not down.

People that can't see this design fault obviously don't indicate or change gear at the right time

People that can't see this design fault obviously don't indicate or change gear at the right time

Since when during your time learning to drive, have you EVER been instructed to change gear and indicate at the same time, just knock your indicator on, then change gear. If you don't have the time to do that, you are simply driving too fast.

Since when during your time learning to drive, have you EVER been instructed to change gear and indicate at the same time, just knock your indicator on, then change gear. If you don't have the time to do that, you are simply driving too fast.

Learning to pass your driving test isn't learning to drive. It's more economical to keep speed constant, that means changing gear and indicating at the same time

But indicating and changinh gear only take a few seconds each, so why cant you do one slightly earlier, or one slightly later?
The majority of drivers dont find this a problem.

But indicating and changinh gear only take a few seconds each, so why cant you do one slightly earlier, or one slightly later?
The majority of drivers dont find this a problem.

If you're going round a roundabout for example it's easier to keep your hand on the gearstick, same when accelerating, you can still indicate with your free right hand.

If it was just one gear change there would be no problem

How about when parking, constantly changing between 1st and reverse, if you need to signal then you don't have to waste time moving hand back and forwards between the stalk and knob

So which hand is ACTUALLY holding the wheel at this time you're changing gear and indicating?

With indicator stalk on the right, your right hand is loose to operate the indicator, and your left hand isn't on the wheel at all.

You say "It's more economical to keep speed constant, that means changing gear and indicating at the same time"

However, if you was inidicating, you're preparing to turn, therefore you would be slowing down, which is probably the reason why you're changing gear, so you wouldn't be keeping a constant speed.

And it is also much more economical to plan in advance and use the engine to slow you rather than a lot of brake.

If you're going round a roundabout for example it's easier to keep your hand on the gearstick, same when accelerating, you can still indicate with your free right hand.

If it was just one gear change there would be no problem

How about when parking, constantly changing between 1st and reverse, if you need to signal then you don't have to waste time moving hand back and forwards between the stalk and knob

1 hand on steering wheel while accelerating and driving around a roundabout?

WHat happens if you get a puncture or a blow out, sorry but with 1 hand on the wheel you're not going to be able to control it.

2 hands on the wheel at all times unless you're indicating or changing gear.

I don't understand why you constantly change between 1st and reverse when parking :S

All you need with the right hand is to stick a finger out and click your indicator on so the right hand is on the wheel leaving the left hand free to shift.

Obviously we're not gunna agree on this as we have different driving styles but some people prefer their stalks the other way around

I don't understand why you constantly change between 1st and reverse when parking :S

Well how do you park in a tight parking space then? just pick it up and place it in?

But your right hand won't be near the indicator once you start turning with 1 hand.

Well how do you park in a tight parking space then? just pick it up and place it in?

most of the time yes, you get to know the size of a car that you've drove for nearly 6 years.

But maybe the space is a little too small for you if it takes that much work to get it in, just drive on and find another.

You should be indicating before you're changing gear or direction. Changing gear down will cause your car to slow, so indicating beforehand will give people behind you some sort of message you plan to slow down.

So you're going around an island, you're turning right so your hand is near the bottom of the wheel and your left hand is on the gear stick.

You want to leave the island, does that mean you're only going to indicate AFTER you've started to turn? or are you going to let go of the steering wheel totally to indicate?

Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre.

You shouldn't be trying to change gear at the same time as indicating.

You should check your mirrors, then signal to turn, then start the manoeuvre.

That is why they put it on the left.

Well actually i keep my steering hand on the top of the wheel as taught in an advanced driving course so when tuning right my hand is right next to the stalk

You also can't eat a sandwich while you are travelling.

And you die if you get into a fight with a curb.

My flip-up lid allows me to eat, smoke and drink if I feel like it, if you don't mind flys in your sandwich.

Anyway it's illegal to eat whilst driving

So you're going around an island, you're turning right so your hand is near the bottom of the wheel and your left hand is on the gear stick.

You want to leave the island, does that mean you're only going to indicate AFTER you've started to turn? or are you going to let go of the steering wheel totally to indicate?

You should be indicating before you do the manouvere. Anyway, both hands should be on the steering wheel except when changing gear, which should only take a second, and if you're doing push pull, which is the best, most effecient and safest way of steering, then your left hand will always be within reach of the indicator turing the turn.

Good grief, I wasn't expecting this! :D

Actually Olly is probably right with regards to cars being designed for the European market, I thought this too.

It's a nuisance when the indicator self cancels or you need to swap sides with the indicators, especially on the crap layout of Pork Pie Island etc. where you have to change lanes AND change speed at the same time (those pesky traffic lights again). The space you have available to do this is rather limited and I notice a lot of people don't bother indicating. Mind you, some people don't anyway :p

And yes, you should indicate before manoeuvring :D

My K10 has the stalk on the right and I guess it's what I was used to, I prefer it that side anyway.

- BG -

Nice if there was one for sale which I could afford. Would probably have to sell mine though, which I'm a bit reluctant to do because I'm happy with it. Unless it's for a good price :)

BG

Back