changed lambda sensor fuel consumption

hi guys

after your advice in here ive managed to change lambda sensor so heres hoping that it has sorted the fuel consumption problems. can someone tell me what i should around town driving from a quarter tank of petrol to see if this has worked or not!

when i started the car it went to around 1200-1300 rpm then it dropped to around 600 rpm when idling, i drove it a little and its still showing 600 rpm. how do i adjust the revs so that its sitting around 705 - 800 rpm (is that the right figure?)

i also had a look at the coolant sensor as suggested in my previous post but it looks like a nightmare to remove. how on earth can any1 fit there hands in to remove it?

is there a way of testing my faulty lambda sensor without having to screw back into motor?

kind regards me

frank

Club Member
your fuelgauge is,nt accurate enough to measure your milage, and you wont get any consensus on what it should be (we have a thread about every month with "i can get 100mpg out of mine" etc :p)
and i would pull the dizzy out personally to access the c/t/s :)

OP
OP
K
hi frank

what about the idling speed and testing a lambda sensor cos ive got the faulty one and ive also got another lambda sensor as spare but the wires are broken from plug but should still work regardless.

regards me

frank

Club Member
the idle is set via the black plastic allen screw on the o/s/r corner (with the throttle position sensor disconnected) but i would give it a few more runs first
and you,re best to test the lambda on the engine really (.4v to .6v at cruise, 0v on lift and .9v on acceleration, middle wire to earth)

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
I was just adding that he will never get a steady reading while cruising from the lambda, your post read as if he would have. Which would have been confusing.

OP
OP
K
is it normal to still get the rich smell of petrol when it first starts? once it warms up and rpm is around 800 i dont smell the richness anymore. also i had quarter tank of petrol and ive done 30 miles so far local driving and its now on the first band of red on the fuel gauge is this good, bad or normal?

thanks for your help guys

cheers :)

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
Like Frank said, a quarter tank isn't accurate enough to measure anything. Ideally you'd brim it when the light comes and see how far you get when the light comes on again :).

OP
OP
K
hi guys

from a quarter tank to the emergency light showing i got 56 miles. i have now reset the odometer and have put in 8.86 litres of petrol at around £1.14 per litre which totaled £10 of fuel. its showing slightly just over the quarter tank so im hoping to get around 65 - 70 miles for this amount. do you rekon this is average for my micra now and do you think that the lambda change has made the difference? should i still change the coolant sensor or just leave it for now?

if the fuel problem is sorted, then all i have to fix now is the air con radiator as its leaking! if you know anyone who is selling a working unit please let me know cheers :)

kind regards me

OP
OP
K
hi alienfish

the reason i said between 65-70 is that all of my driving is local and non motorway. is combined average at over 40 for urban driving? if i get 80 miles for this amount then great! my car is a 1.3 t reg inspiration. the only 2 problems i have left to fix is the air con radiator which is leaking and the handbrake.

regards me