Cg13 getting increasingly harder to start under particular conditions

For the record it is a 96 build CG13DE with a 2" exhaust and modified airbox and large air feed, advanced ingition timing (to utilise the higher octane petrol). THe vehicle when i purchased it suffered the problem and at the time was totally standard apart from a 2" exhaust from the cat back.

Well since I've had the car now, a little over 10 months its always been reluctant to start when its not either cold or at operating temperature.

Over the past week this condition has been getting worse.

Noone else seems to suffer this difficulty.

So far I have inspected the whole fuel system and replaced the filter. The old one was very clean. It runs on a diet of either 95 or 98RON. It all appears to be good and the fuel pump doesnt cause any problems (isnt drawing excessive current). Only thing I havent checked is fuel pressure - BUT the fuel pump primes for the same period of time no matter what temperature the engine is at so I'm guessing the regulator is probably not stuffed.

Now to make this very clear what the issue is:

Cranking with engine at ambient temperature (around 25deg. C) - instant start.
Cranking with engine temp over 60deg C (measured with Consult) - instant start.

Attempting to start anywhere in between say 30deg C and 60deg C results in an extended period of cranking (usually around 4 seconds worth, sometimes it is less if i start it with the throttle fully depressed) and it lets off quite a bit of brown/unburnt fuel vapour from the exhaust and struggles for a few seconds while it sorts out the mixture.

Consult computer logged no sensor issues - the AFM records the same signals when starting every single time EXCEPT when I depress the throttle where of course the metered readings are higher. So I am going by the assumption at the moment that the AFM is not suffering typical micra problems.

The weather also plays no part in this starting issue - although when it is damp she does develop a slightly lumpy idle. I guess this indicates a distributor problem, but it doesnt seem like it would be related to the starting issue.

It has been suggested to me that a leaky injector could be the cause here but before I go replacing stuff I'd really like your opinions on the matter.

Thanks for any suggestions!

PS: yes i have posted this on CMF so if you visit there you only have to reply to the thread of your choice. Reason I posted it here as well as to be frank you are a much larger audience and there is clearly a MUCH higher probability of one of you lot experiencing this issue.

that sounds alot like mine used to do...never actually found out what was wrong with it ( no definate / confirmed results anyway -- all diagnostics showed no issues).

But when i removed the throttle body as i was dismantling the engine bay, i did notice a small collection of fuel in the inlet manifold...this was at the same side id suspected an injector may have been leaking.

coincidence...maybe. But apart from that not much else i can help with... :)

Can you provide a consult datalog of a normal start and also a difficult start for me to look over?

I'll try and get my hands on a consult computer and get some new logs Ed - the only ones I have are from winter when the problem wasn't such a big problem (if that makes any sense).

The weather here has changed quite dramatically over the past 4 weeks lol.

Back