CG10 rebuild to CG13.. Coil packs or spark leads

Hello all,

I need to get some advice about my plans.
I now drive a Super S, CG13DE with 75HP.

Today i bought a second engine, a CG10DE. Why? I will explain.
since i have special Cat Camshafts from 270 degrees i want to have a CG engine with a higher compression radio than 9,5:1

My plan is to replace the CG10DE con rods to CG13DE conrods to make it an CG13, but with a higher compression because of the difference in pistons.. Cams will be replaced for my Cat Cams.
So at the and i will have an CG10 rebuild to CG13 with heavy cams. (Also i will fit a steel head gasket, adjustable cam gears, have a head flow and replace bearings)

Am i forgot something? Or will this just be it..

Also i saw that the CG10DE had coil packs in stead of the usual spark leads on my CG13DE. Are those better than spark leads? do i have to swap my ECU also with the CG10DE with coil packs? what else i need to change?

Kind regards, Jeroen from Holland:blues:

Frank would be the best man to speak to, I thought 1.0 pistons in the 1.3 would give the highest gain? Cheers

Hello all,

I need to get some advice about my plans.
I now drive a Super S, CG13DE with 75HP.

Today i bought a second engine, a CG10DE. Why? I will explain.
since i have special Cat Camshafts from 270 degrees i want to have a CG engine with a higher compression radio than 9,5:1

My plan is to replace the CG10DE con rods to CG13DE conrods to make it an CG13, but with a higher compression because of the difference in pistons.. Cams will be replaced for my Cat Cams.
So at the and i will have an CG10 rebuild to CG13 with heavy cams. (Also i will fit a steel head gasket, adjustable cam gears, have a head flow and replace bearings)

Am i forgot something? Or will this just be it..

Also i saw that the CG10DE had coil packs in stead of the usual spark leads on my CG13DE. Are those better than spark leads? do i have to swap my ECU also with the CG10DE with coil packs? what else i need to change?

Kind regards, Jeroen from Holland:blues:

you cant run coil-packs with your looms you would have to strip out the whole car and re loom it with looms from a coil-pack micra the ecu is-int the same fittings as yours and theirs loads of other stuff that's different

Put the 1.0 pistons in the CG13, that will give you a healthy C/R and you can keep your engine. or prob better still sell the CG10 and buy some CG10 pistons on their own.
Off the top of my head i think frank worked out you get around 11;1 C/R with that set up.
good luck with it.

you need the 1.3 crank and rods jeroen, and 1.0 pistons to achieve nearly 12:1 c/r
and to run the coilpack ignition you would need the loom, ecu and crank sensor (like ken said) and flywheel and gearbox or else an aftermarket crank sensor and ecu :eek:

Wow! that's a lot of #### Frank..
if i only fit those 1.0 pistons on my CG13, how much will the compression ratio exactly increes?

And is it useful to have coil packs in stead of spark leads?

forget the coil pack setup unless you want to spend £££££££ on an ecu to make it work. You cannot easily remap the k11 coil pack ecus yet.

Thanks Ed! Clearly and usefull...
I know that is might be useful to set my ignition timing by hand, as i can do with a distributor (and a flashlight ofcourse)..

Now the only thing i need to know (cause 1 am also planning a head smooth) what my compression ratio exactly will be..
Maybe i have to use RON 98 petrol afterwards

with this you will need a remap btw. If like Frank ;) you think otherwise your insane haha :)

Come on frank you know you want too. Just think of all that wasted power and efficiency you'll never see because you refuse to tune the single most important bit on the car!!! lolololol

Come on frank you know you want too. Just think of all that wasted power and efficiency you'll never see because you refuse to tune the single most important bit on the car!!! lolololol

i just cant afford it ed i,m afraid, i,ll get by with some physical/manual timing and fueling adjustments for now ta :grinning:

Forgive me if i'm missing something here but would i be right in guessing there is a difference to the actual Block/Head from the CG10 to CG13?

If not then what would be the difference from putting CG10 piston's in a CG13 instead of CG13 Rod's+Crank into a CG10
From what little i can find "Googleing" they both have the same Bore, so only a longer Stroke on the 13.

ps. Just seen the date on last post, "Holy Thread Revival"

Back