• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Ceirwans REVISED AND NEW Super S blog! :)

Ceirwan

Ex. Club Member
Hey guys,
Some of you may remember that I used to own Imps Super S before he bought it off me. Well I have now purchased it back because I was after a cheap runner that I knew was reliable while I get a load of other expensive stuff in my life sorted out.

However I've decided I may as well keep it in decent shape and sort out a few of the issues I've spotted with it, gonna try and document that here. :)

The first job before we even left the drive was to discard the sparco seat belt padders (sorry) and then repair the rear view mirror which steve had to pillage from his Super Turbo, so thats another job for his list! :(

After and uneventful drive home I was feeling great, I'd forgotten how raw the engine sounded and how primitive the handling was, Its got more character than any car I've owned!

First job was a quick wash to get a feel for anything that needed doing:

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

So I've made a list of what needs to be done:
- Change rear number plate lights for a bulb instead of LED's. I'm sure they're borderline illegal and there's loads of sideways escaping light, such a chavvy mod Steve, how could you?? :laugh:
- De Sticker the micra.org.uk logo's and the K'n'N stickers, because I would never hear the end of it at work + I don't like stickers :p
- Both the doors at 75+ miles an hour there loads of noise and air from the seals at the top, I guess they've both had attempts to force them at some point... Needs sorting it was driving me mad :) (Private road of course officer)
- Put my stereo in from the 106.
- Sort out a few rust bubbles coming through, two on arch, one at base of windscreen
- Somesones tried to jam a srewdriver past the driver lock at some point leaving a small hole in the door... Needs sorting somehow lol
- Good clean inside + air freshen

I think that's enough to be getting on with! :D

Since getting it back I've had in in the garage and swapped the stereo, emptied the spare wheel well of water (note, source boot leak :p), cleaned and polished interior, air freshened inc seats.

Will try and keep this one up to date!

Note my goal with this is to get it mint standard, and then possibly consider bike carbs, we shall see!

I never found the source of the boot leak, was one of those mystery's lol, passed the MOT fine with the back lights on and never had any bother with them, i still have the originals if you want them, forgot to mention the 'chavvy' ST gauges :D lol, great seeing you again anyway bud (Y)

Ok well today I had the bracket on the exhaust welded up as temporary stop gap to stop it rattling, will need a rear section eventually, I reckon I'll just get a full K10 'zorst without the cat which should mean a slight gain in power and also more popping!

Steve I'm compiling a list of original parts I'm after :D, if you could stick em in a box and charge me postage that'd be awesome!

Did you ever sort out the rough running when It first starts up? Never used to do that for me, trying to work out what it is...

So now my list of things to do is:
  • Change rear number plate lights back to the nipples.
  • Sort out issues with door seals (Maybe a bodyshop?)
  • Sort out arch rust bubbles and the Wind
  • When the car was on the ramps I spotted some Waxoyling that needs touching up
  • Fix screwdriver hole in drivers door
  • Put a fuse in the manual fan switch wiring and mount it somewhere in the dash
  • Improve the handling, down really tight twisty roads its not bad, but past sixty its scary with the car bouncing all over the road, will need some thoughts on this!

Stuff done:
  • Interior cleaned up and were down to one air freshener from like ten :)
  • Stereo swapped
  • Exhaust bracket welded

i changed the lamda sensor and distributor arm and it was fine with me? carb might need a clean, or choke etc if its just when its cold?

Well, little update.

Currently have an over heating problem, battery was flat when I went to it today, I hadn't left anything on so new battery in order :p.
And I've discovered why selecting 3rd can be awkward, the gear lever only 'springs' if you push it to the right, if you push it to the left it doesn't spring back to the middle!

The joys of motoring in older cars :(

Oh fiddle sticks, did i not replace the gear return spring? i thought i did it while i did the waxoyling? it just clips underneath by where the gear linkage is, i just used a random spring though so it might have come off :S

Well I sorted the battery problem, I'd left the boot light on haha.

Thank god the springs as easy as that, on the 106 its integral to the gearbox! :D

Well today has been very expensive.

I started having a look at the water pump and quickly realised that since I couldn't find my Haynes manual I needed some help, took it to my local garage (we've been using them for over 20 years so there pretty accommodating, family run garage) and I'm not sure if It was you or your mechanic Steve but whichever, you need to be a LOT more careful when stuff goes back together:

We found:
- Main tensioner, no washer surprising it hadn't spun off.
- Two loose (as in very loose) engine mounts
- Alternator mounts loose, and the tensioning bolt has been drilled somewhere else into the alternator and isn't really strong enough
- Airpan, bolts not in and wouldn't line up anyway

The engine bay was sprayed with white powdered stuff which when we looked at the gunk coming out the pump looked to be 'Heavy duty Ionized Block Seal' which is mean't to be flushed out the system after use because it eats rubber hoses, seals etc. The water pump (although new) was ruined, all the rubber degraded, the breathers had all got blocked up with gunk and crap from the cooling system. It also had two gaskets on it, what was left of the old one and the new one.

Sorry if this seems and angry post, not pointing any fingers, but its been a costly day :p.

Back