Cat to Downpipe bolts

Hey everyone,

I picked up first cat back Peter Lloyd system yesterday, and I've also just ordered a Frankspeed Mani. All of this means that the downpipe will have to be disconnected from the first cat, and I am almost positive the bolts with the springs on them are going to be seized..

Does anyone know what the bolts / spring assembly is called or where I can find replacements? Or do people normally just swap the bolts out and keep the old springs?

Thanks,
Calum

pollyp

Club Member
if they've not been disturbed since new, can be pretty sure those flimsy bolts will be rusted thin and weak and snap off.

I prev just retapped the threads and used a normal nut bolt

c725uz-199-jpg.29004

OP
OP
Calum
Thanks for clearing that up, I am going to chop the old downpipe off and remove the manifold and cat together as I'm throwing the old exhaust away. Should make my life easier when splitting everything apart.

On another note does anyone know whether the 'Peter Lloyd' exhaust system I have is actually a different make of exhaust to a Sportex system, or is it simply a Sportex that was sold by Peter Lloyd?

Hi I fitted the Peter Lloyd exhaust it sounds very nice and loud coopers take a good look when you go by lol the bolts for the cat to down pipe are under £2 each from your Nissan main dealer keep your old springs to use with them or you can do what pollyp says I asked the same question when I was doing mine but my bolts came out they were very bent tho.

OP
OP
Calum
Hi I fitted the Peter Lloyd exhaust it sounds very nice and loud coopers take a good look when you go by lol the bolts for the cat to down pipe are under £2 each from your Nissan main dealer keep your old springs to use with them or you can do what pollyp says I asked the same question when I was doing mine but my bolts came out they were very bent tho.

Thanks for the heads up :) I got the entire exhaust off today and I'm going to fit the new one tomorrow. The two cat bolts came out relatively easily tbh, I could probably put them back in but I'll ring the local Nissan dealer tomorrow to check if they're in stock and fit new ones if I can get them.

Did you replace the downpipe gasket when you fitted yours? It looks like mine is missing, and new ones are only a couple of quid. I'm Not sure which type to get though, eurocarparts stock a thin one and a wider mesh type one? Also can you remember which sized exhaust clamps you used? From what I've read its 50mm. I'll get out there with a micrometer tomorrow and check the pipe diameter in the places where they connect.

OP
OP
Calum
if they've not been disturbed since new, can be pretty sure those flimsy bolts will be rusted thin and weak and snap off.

I prev just retapped the threads and used a normal nut bolt

c725uz-199-jpg.29004

Is that the thick mesh gasket that I can see poking out between the cat and the downpipe? There seems to be two types; that one and a thinner type. Was gonna pick the mesh one up tomorrow.

Hi it's the thicker wire mesh one you need I used my old one I put some exhaust putty around it has well for extra sealing and yes I think it is 50mm clamps to use the Lloyd exhaust fits nice and easy and sounds great.

OP
OP
Calum
Thanks guys! All I have to do now is weld my old tailpipe onto the peter Lloyd back box, the peter Lloyd one looks teeny compared to the one I am used to seeing.

If I cut the peter Lloyd tailpipe down to about 1 inch long and sleeve it with my 3 1/2 inch tailpipe by welding it to the back box, do you reckon it will create any adverse effects or change the sound?

Last edited: