Cat Removal....Results!!!!

K10Daz

RIP Colin McRae 1968-2007
Well i have had my CAT out for a while now, the exhaust has a far better sound to it, the car runs better and its just exactly the same on fuel - around 36MPG...
However i was wondering the legallity of this - as far as im made to believe it is NOT illegal to remove the CAT, but for it to fail the emissions test is a 21 day slip. So i took my car into work to get a test done!

This test was done a while back with my CAT in place
http://www.pichotel.com/pic/6128Wg13G/110900.jpg

This is without the CAT
http://www.pichotel.com/pic/6128Wg13G/110901.jpg

As you can see there isnt really much of a difference!

Daz:alien:

OP
OP
K10Daz

K10Daz

Yeh the CAT that sits underneat the car around the gearbox linkages, Not the one that sits in the manifold.

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
You only have to have 1 CAT, but mine failed with the 2nd CAT off, need to take into consideration the state of your engine and the efficiency of it.

Very good point goldstar never would have thaught of that -_-, but I may try this for my next mot if I can get it tested without one beforehand. Where can you get de-cat pipes?

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
the only thing its close on is the co %, but if its passed its legal, if you get pulled over your still legal as you have a cat in the manifold.

you also need to consider the overall state of the cat in the manifoild aswell as the engine
state

OP
OP
K10Daz

K10Daz

if it passes the emissions test then its legal!

Just as i said lol

Fordy : It was close to the CO% at idle with the cat in aswell tho - Im not really too bothered, there are a few ways of adjusting the readings on an emissions test! If the engine is cold - which mine was on the second test (without cat) Then its gonna throw out more emissions anyway!

OP
OP
K10Daz

K10Daz

Shhh we dont do things like that!!

Dont know if you got my txt fordy but got my window fixed too! Took the car to Autoglass with my overalls on and the guy done me a favour :p

Daz