Cat Price

RedRocket1

Club Member (Trial)
Was down at the scrappies today, had a look around found a few micras...so i said to the boy, "i'm needin the cat from a micra please"....he said "give me a price"...""£25 i said (i thought it was reasonable)"....he said "no can do mate, wont take any less than £70 because its made of a special metal thats in high demand"....i couldnt be arsed with his bull**** so i just left.

Now considering you can buy an engine for around £150 mark....surely this cant be right or is the man talking sense?

a cat is made up of a very thin layer of platinum group metals on a honeycomb structure

he is talking sense to a point platinum is expense a few yrs ago the motor trade forecourts were raided for cats at night when the price was high.

i would shop around they are expensive is your broken?

capnmchl

Ex. Club Member
£70 sounds reasonable, for something made of gold and platinum.

If we have any cars people want us to get rid of for them at work, then the first thing we take off is the cat, because we can give it to a customer who needs one for a lower price, and failing that, sell em off for loads.

OP
OP
RedRocket1

RedRocket1

Club Member (Trial)
####, i thought the boy was tryin to rob me. Nah mines is fine, im just needing the flanges. Come to think of it i could have just asked for another bit to get the flanges as there all the same (i think). But hopefully stani's got a spare one.

frank

Club Member
rip-off imo :eek: you can get cats for £50 new nowadays (the yards i use sell them for £15 each, scrap, to a trader who goes round buying job-lots)

Stani1029

Club Member
if i dont get one go back and tell the guy to take whatever the #### he wants from the inside of it and your take the shell of it for £10, everyones happy!!

mikey

Ex. Club Member
I've just had an idea...the flanges on a cat are the same as the flanges they bolt onto at either side of the exhaust system...sooo instead of hackin up the cat, just take the flanges from the mid/back pipes??Might work, might be cheaper! :p

OP
OP
RedRocket1

RedRocket1

Club Member (Trial)
Yeah i think im gonna go back down on saturday and get them....dont wanta hack mine up as there in good nic...plus we both need them for MOT time

mikey

Ex. Club Member
That's a thought...there should be one flangey bit lying around from when i destroyed my old downpipe...unless it met mr.grinder...

If we have any cars people want us to get rid of for them at work, then the first thing we take off is the cat, because we can give it to a customer who needs one for a lower price, and failing that, sell em off for loads.

the year of your car is critical, as some of the earlier micras i have worked on had the cat and middle section as one rather than the later models which had a bolting flange on each side of the cat

Cats are only making £20 -25 over here for scrap, but I priced a new one through modern tyre services for my micra and it could have bought me another car! so I welded mine up:grinning::grinning:

£70 is too expensive, you can buy a new one on flea bay for just over £65, see link below:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NISSAN-MICRA-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item1e5938d84a

capnmchl

Ex. Club Member
I'm not saying it's micra specific, i'm talking all types of cars. And we write down what car it was off, what year, model, reg plate.