Carbon Canister Removal

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
What is this?:
Thing.jpg

and is there any way I can remove it as I noticed micras dont all seem to have one. Its getting in the way of my new airbox sitting straight.
Ga16airboxwithKN.jpg

Ga16Airboxfitted.jpg

Antony

Ex. Club Member
its a carbon canister, something to do with emisions, and yeah it can be removed. not sure what you do with the other pipes and stuff, but it can be..

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
as far as i know it is only connected to the inlet manifold via vacume pipes. Japseye took his out, you can probably just block the tubes, i mean your car will never get through another MOT anyway with that full open exhaust lol

frank

Club Member
mmm wonder if frank will know?

lol, MM, i think it captures the petrol fumes when your car is standing in the hot weather, then burns them off when it,s running, mine was binned long ago :glance:, you end up blocking 1 small inlet manifold pipe, iirc

solarice

Ex. Club Member
yup think thats the deal frank :) it uses one of the three petrol lines pipes that runs under the car to catch fumes and burn them off later.

Theres two pipes that go to the engine, one being to the manifold and one for the vac line...and you might wanna do something with the vent pipe from the tank, as when mine was disconnected you could always smell petrol in the engine bay.

OP
OP
joesouthgate

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
So there is a fattish pipe going to the manifold, what do I do with that?
A thinish pipe going to the manifold - block that
Pipe going to the tank, move out of the way somewhere?

squarepants

Ex. Club Member
as far as iam aware all k11's have them...not seen one without unless its modfiied...i didnt realise ga16 and ga14 airboxs where that big! lol

as said, could you not relocate the tank? move it lower down maybe?

frank

Club Member
MM

i think there,s the big servo one below the back of the t/b, and 2 under the manifold, (1 big one for the camcover breather and 1 small one for the p/r/v), then block the small one near the servo one, iirc

OP
OP
joesouthgate

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
mmm i thought some came without then i realised that they have been removed on the pics i've seen.

cheers frank.

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
Thats a good plan. To be honest id try and keep the carbon canister if possible... (becuase as mentioned before I am not sure if its a good idea to openly vent/close the pipe to the fuel tank)

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
Thats a good plan. To be honest id try and keep the carbon canister if possible... (becuase as mentioned before I am not sure if its a good idea to openly vent/close the pipe to the fuel tank)

Sorry, thread from the dead here...

Could you not just run the vent from the tank to the inlet manifold?

Craig

lads just rip the thing out it's no use at all just dead weight really.

I made up some alloy bungs on the lathe to block the pipes off and pulled the thing out.

If there enough interest i can make up the bungs if there more than 6 people looking for them.

I can get pic's up if people want, on what i did to get the stupid thing out 10 minute job once you have the bungs really.

I wouldn't connect the fuel one onto the manifold not the thing to do at all.

frank

Club Member
lads just rip the thing out it's no use at all just dead weight really.

I made up some alloy bungs on the lathe to block the pipes off and pulled the thing out.

If there enough interest i can make up the bungs if there more than 6 people looking for them.

I can get pic's up if people want, on what i did to get the stupid thing out 10 minute job once you have the bungs really.

I wouldn't connect the fuel one onto the manifold not the thing to do at all.

seconded :) it,s only there to catch the vapours from the tank on a hot day, f### it all in the bin, you only need a thin vacuum pipe for the p/r/v on the end of the fuelrail, the vac pipe for the servo, and the crankcase breather pipe

kennierobo

Buy & Sell Member
bungs i just used some small bolts with jubilee clips and for the smaller pipes i just used cable ties around them with a small thin bolt blocking it.

FH-5

Site Supporter
Hi all. I am selling my 1.6 primera/almera air box with all parts and for £10 more you can have the modified carbon cannister bracket so the bigger airbox will fit on the micra.

Total price including bracket and green air filter - £50

fh-5

What is this?:
Thing.jpg

and is there any way I can remove it as I noticed micras dont all seem to have one. Its getting in the way of my new airbox sitting straight.
Ga16airboxwithKN.jpg

Ga16Airboxfitted.jpg
hi, joesouthgate, that pipe whats disconnected in front of the carbon canister. mine goes down to the front of the gearbox. is this a vent pipe ? im only asking as my 1.0 is my 1st micra and i dont have a workshop manual.thanks steve. ( hebburn )

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
hi, joesouthgate, that pipe whats disconnected in front of the carbon canister. mine goes down to the front of the gearbox. is this a vent pipe ? im only asking as my 1.0 is my 1st micra and i dont have a workshop manual.thanks steve. ( hebburn )
Look at the date the thread is 8 years old. But to answer your question yes that's the gearbox vent that loops over at the top

Sent from my SM-G903F using Micra Sports Club mobile app