carb conversion

Charlotte001

Ex. Club Member
What does anyone think. Some of you are fitting bike carbs to K10's now I have a pair of SU carbs as well as a pair of strombergs sitting doing nothing and think it would be fun to fit them to a K10. I've got a guy who can make me a adaptor plate to fit to a manifold thus allow it to fit to my K10. Only problem I can see is the auto box cable, I'll give that some thought.

Charlotte

OP
OP
C

Charlotte001

Ex. Club Member
If it were a possibility I would drop in a manual but as it's not a possibility its not going to happen. The car would be undriveable for me if I put in a manual box due to I drive on hand controls.

Charlotte

This could develop into a really interesting project.....Manual box but with a couple of 'extras' so that the whole lot can be done by hand...(or other ??)

I am VERY interested in this....do you have a description or photo, or diagram of your controls and what each of tham does?.....I know this is a bit off the topic...so you can PM me if you prefer...

now you've got me thinking (a dangerous situation....lol)

Also can you use either knees or elbows maybe while symultaneously using the other hand controls (but without screwing up your hands co-ordination & sensitivity???

OP
OP
C

Charlotte001

Ex. Club Member
The hand controls are very simple in design although not in cost £365 a set. It's one bar bolted to the brake pedal, a bracket bolted to the steering column, which has a cross bar to accelerate/brake on. The accelerator is connected by a small cable which is bolted to the brake rod.

As for a manual box having add on's for the past 30 years it's been looked at and the only serious adaption which can be done at an extreme cost is a fluid clutch added to the back of the gearbox, Transverse boxes such as K10's cannot have this addition though as the fluid assembly is around 8inch long by 6 inch square so it's a lump of technology. If you're a genious with remote control it can be done at a serious silly cost. To give you some idea of costs

in 2001 I asked the same company who did my hand controls, untill I started building them myself: to convert a Ford Sierra from manual with a fluid assembly on the back of the box was £2500 and the remote system was £9800 for the basic unit. With the advancements of technology it may have made the unit smaller although the cost will have increased.

It's all to do with insurance underwriting which affects handcontrol fitting and manufacture although there is no CE approval needed.

Over the weekend Ill post a picture of the handcontrols I use to show how basic they are and you make your mind up if they justify the cost.

Charlotte

cool cheers look forward to the pics

The cost of teh remote system IMO is cos its customised...and I reccon there must be some 'off the shelf hydrolics and / or pneumatics tha have the beef to squeeze a clutch arm...and even if there isnt....surely a simple mod to give a mechanical advantage would do the trick....?

may be I'm dreaming but who knows...If i get a spare hour I will dig

Ok then back to original question:What to do with the auto cable??

Also with a dog leg gearbox (is that right?) you dont need a clutch?

K10

Ex. Club Member
twin SU's, sounds nice.

I plan to have a play (free time permitting) with those myself, but it is a tight fit on a micra, although they will go on.

I say go for it, have a play :) and post up any progress on here :)

Anyhoo, back to what you were talking about.............

OP
OP
C

Charlotte001

Ex. Club Member
The auto cable is a good question although with a little bit of rocket science oh and the gas axe along with the mig welder (for when the gas axe gets carried away) I'm sure something can be built. I've done some measuring and the carbs would fit snuggly on a modified manifold.

The box is an automatic so it's all built in clutches and all.

I'll keep you upto date with the madness.

Charlotte