car won't start, need help

euro_micra

Matt :)
Hey, I need some help:down: I re-installed my 1.3 exhaust cam to replace the 1.0 one. But somehow it now doesn't start. It spluttered and turned over a bit before cutting out a couple of seconds later. I figured it must have been one tooth out, and looking at it again, it might have been, so I put it back to exactly what I think is right. But it still wouldn't start, wouldn't even turn over.

Thought I must have rotated the dowels for the dizzy when I took the cam out and in, which I often do. So I pulled the dizzy out and rotated it 360degrees and put it back. Still won't start.

I'm a little puzzeled as it was running fine before, and nothing appears to have gone wrong, apart from the dizzy now might be out of sync:glare: But it's now too dark to do anything, so has anyone got an thoughts for what I could do in the morning. How to check the dizzy timing?

Any help's appreaciated as always, I need my car, luckly I've got the day off tomorrow but I didn't want to spend my sun&monday on this.

Scott

My name is Scott
Site Supporter
I thought the Dizzy should be moved 180 degrees and not 360. A 360 turn is basically putting it to the exact same position as it was before.

Stani1029

Club Member
if you put it in 180 degrees next time it will snap the end of your cam. seen it done before (not me ofcourse) pull it out and double check which way the offset is and refit it to eliminate that side of the fault.

also to check remove the dizzy cap when at top dead centre to see if the rotor arm is pointing the right way :grinning:

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

Lobe positions seem ok frank, just like in that pic. I think. Although, looking at it I may have set cylinder no.4 at tdc instead:eek:

And scott 'cos of the offset groove, the dizzy will only fit once per 360 turn, so in the off chance that it's a 720degree cycle i turned it all the way till it fitted again.

Thanks for the super quick replys though(Y)

frank

Club Member
Lobe positions seem ok frank, just like in that pic. I think. Although, looking at it I may have set cylinder no.4 at tdc instead:eek:

And scott 'cos of the offset groove, the dizzy will only fit once per 360 turn, so in the off chance that it's a 720degree cycle i turned it all the way till it fitted again.

Thanks for the super quick replys though(Y)

the lobes will still be the same matt if its on cyl 4 tdc, the 2 and 3 lobes will just be visa-versa :grinning:

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

also to check remove the dizzy cap when at top dead centre to see if the rotor arm is pointing the right way :grinning:

I meant to do that but couldn't remember exactly which one it should be pointing to, and couldnt be doing with any more guess work:wasntme:

Stani1029

Club Member
well to really fix your timing youll have to remove the upper chain or unlatch it from the middle pulley, turn the engine over and over until you see the dot on the middle pulley line up with the coloured link when at TDC, then refit the top chain dot/coloured link and same at cams.

good luck

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

Shouldn't need to re-fit the chain *figers crossed* as the chain on the inlet cam sprocket hasn't come off, so as long as there's the five links ontop/between the markers, it should be ok i'd have thought.

So I'm under the assumption that the cams are in the correct place, but something is still wrong. Is there a sensor near the upper chain I may have knocked or broke that I don't know about.

frank

Club Member
Shouldn't need to re-fit the chain *figers crossed* as the chain on the inlet cam sprocket hasn't come off, so as long as there's the five links ontop/between the markers, it should be ok i'd have thought.

So I'm under the assumption that the cams are in the correct place, but something is still wrong. Is there a sensor near the upper chain I may have knocked or broke that I don't know about.

there,s only a sensor on the coilpack sprocket matt, do you still have 4 compressions ?

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

ah ok.

I believe so, I've turned it over by hand and it feels the same as it always has been before, but not 100% sure as I wasn't looking for them.

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

It's alive. But I feel stupid, when I realised it was a tooth out last night I corrected it, only I found out this morning that I had just put it back in the exact same posistion!! only it looked like it was better:glare: So I've re-corrected it and it's working now.

:laugh:thought I was getting good at swapping cams almost enough to think it was something else. Anyway I'm being punished by not having my coilovers show up:down: