Car won't start after changing battery

Hi All,

My wife's Micra battery needed replacing. I bought a new battery and fitted it with no problems but now the car won't start. It's all connected properly and fully charged. When you turn the key the dash lights up but there's nothing from the engine. It's on a 53 plate and has keyless entry and ignition.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Check the fuse right on the terminal. It could have blown, or the wires could have pinched off while you were fitting the terminal. Try disconnecting the battery and re connecting it 30 seconds later. Make sure all the terminals are tight. It is possible to connect enough to give a small amount of current, but the moment you try and turn the engine the current isn't enough. Check all the fuses in the cab, one of them could have blown accidentally.

Depending on your level of competence, you can try and short straight to the starter to see if the starter may have gone (AT OWN RISK).

It is also very possible that the new battery may need to be charged first. If its been on the shelf for a long time it could have discharged. If that's the case, I would have a conversation with the store owner about warranties. Lead acid batteries don't last long once they have discharged completely.

Always connect the positive terminal first and then the ground. That way the spanner cant accidentally short to the body while tightening. My colleague set an aircraft on fire like that.
:eek:

Also try with imboliser key/card in the car,turn the key to possition 1 for about half hour,then turn key to off and try starting car then. That's incase its an immobiliser glitch. Which happened to mine earlier this yr.