Car ticks over fine but wont accelerate

Nissan Micra Sport
1.0 litre

Problems started 6 months ago when i attempted to start the car and it seemed the battery was flat.

However my dad solved the problem it was just that the battery terminal was loose. Up until that point the engine management light had always been on for approx 4 years but came back on a few days later.

However when i would start to drive the car after it has stood for a few hours it would kangaroo, struggle to be driven until a certain point when all of a sudden i would be able to accelerate properly, leaving the car to idle for 5 mins before setting off seemed to lessen the issue as would turning the engine off whilst moving then restarting the engine.

As well as this issue. the car would also slow down whilst being driven with no notice at random intervals almost as though i dropped down a gear.

Yesterday my car was hooked up to a diagnostic computer which revealed one issue;

P0171 fuel sys-lean bk1

The guy said that this was a fuel problem and suggested fitting a new lander sensor on the exhaust manifold. Immediately after the test my car is no longer drivable and just kangaroo's.

Today my dad fitted the new lander and nothing has changed and my car is still not drivable.

The car ticks over ok but does not rev high when the accelerator is pressed down. However when the air filter is taken out and the air inlet is partly covered by hand the car revved ok, but the tick over was compromised.

My dad knows his way around a car but has ran out of ideas, he's changed the air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, and lander so far please help if you can.

frank

Club Member
you could try disconnecting the maf, there are a few threads that say the car drives ok when disconnected, but crap when connected

Jay101

Black&Yellow
I don't understand these garages, a lambda sensor is a measuring device and will tell you if something is at fault. Not necessarily the lambda itself.

Sounds like what Frank said, throttle body issue, it's a micras downfall

OP
OP
G
I don't understand these garages, a lambda sensor is a measuring device and will tell you if something is at fault. Not necessarily the lambda itself.

Sounds like what Frank said, throttle body issue, it's a micras downfall
maf?

OP
OP
G
right so he's done it and wow....problem solved. what does the maf do? any downside to not having a maf connected? advantages? well other than having it working.

frank

Club Member
it will drink a bit more fuel apparently geefunk, there are a few threads about changing the "bosch" ones