Car sounds like taxi???

alfantasti

Club Member (Trial)
My '98 1 litre engine sounds like a taxi when run to normal operating temperature. Not so bad when started from cold, but progressively gets worse as engine warms. Any ideas???

OP
OP
A

alfantasti

Club Member (Trial)
Yeah, sorry for the delayed reply. It sounds like a diesel. Someone suggested it was the timing chain and that it's an 8 hour job to replace. Sod that, probably cost more than the car to fix. Is there anything i can do to quieten it down and prolong the life of the chain, such as an additive?

Hyundai

Buy & Sell Member
Wilkinson has these additives, give them a check. I'm not sure if it works but it says on the bottle that it can save the world. So lets hope it'll quiet down your engine. They're usually £3-£4.

:doh: putting additives in an engine aint gonna eliminate the sound thats out side the engine as quoted.. timing chain...

engine additives dont do nothing anyway.. they look good when pouring into an engine all thick and gooey but give a few mins of driving its as thin as oil.... read the link below... this will open up some eyes and i have seen 2 engines being damaged whilst working for bmw as a technician in my time.

http://www.rlb.50megs.com/oiladitives.html

j

OP
OP
A

alfantasti

Club Member (Trial)
Thanks everbody for the replies. Think i'm gonna go for an oil and filter change using Castrol Magnatec and hope that the engine lasts for a few more years fwn