Car Security Tips needed

Hi all,
Is there a way to stop my 1.0L engine from being started through HOT WIRING.

Is it possible to run a switch to one side of the ignition coil switched off at night...Can anyone forsee problems when switched on and the engine running ?

I have had my car broken into 4 times now i'm sure someones going to try and get it started soon. :(

The Micra has steering lock fitted and voltage sensitive alarm working on the interior light.

Looking for any security tips please (Y)

simple, take off your rotor arm at night, tossers will never figure it out, if thats not secure enough for you take the distributor and leads aswell!!, number your leads though,

Ha Ha Ha seriously you guys......What do you think about putting a switch in line with the coil ? Anyone out there done any Kill switch stuff ?

:D I think a micra will never be save... when I was in England, I locked my key in the trunk and then broke in with a spoon which I had luckily found :D

mod the ecu to be removable? abit impractical carrying a big box around i know, unless the wally also carries a similar non-nats ecu. or maybe pull out the battery fuse? bit easier to carry, unless again the wally shuves a screwdriver across the fuse terminals.

Maybe get an immobiliser kit from eBay and fit the relay somewhere sneaky in the engine bay instead of the steering column? They're pretty cheap on eBay. What do they keep breaking into it to get?

I ask myself who would break into a micra? I mean... this is not a car which stands for luxury... You must live in a very dangerous area :D

i was serious about the rotor arm thing, if i removed it without u noticing and put the distributor cap back on yould be a while trying to get it goingfwn

The car is used everyday.....Not a chance of me removing the Rotor arm every time i park up what an hassle.

Your right about the Micra and its street creed people dont want to pinch them to look cool they nick em cause they can :blush: Easily

I think a switch is a good idea. But I would switch the power too the coil. That way once they work out where the switch is (odeon they do) they will have flooded the engine and won't be able to start it anyway:)

How about a kill switch? I had one on my Micra. Shame I didn't take it out before he got scrapped otherwise you could have had it for nothing. Just cover postage.

I've got another one similar to the Kill Switch but you can't remove the key.

I can post a couple of pics, if need be?

Get a half decent alarm. I have a Sniper alarm with a shock sensor, cost £22 delivered from eBay. If the door gets touched the alarm goes off. Criminals run before they even get into the car. I modded it so you can't start the car if you cut the power supply to the alarm. To get to it you have to remove the dash and unwrap all the factory wires.

pjg1979 : yes the photo's would be great they may also help others.
ollyc98 : i have a micro Scan alarm fitted and yes your right, the alarm goes off i dash to the window and the ####s are gone...4 times this as happened now.

So i'm convinced the scallies are waiting for me not to set the alarm and there going to try nab my car....Hence the switch.

By the way the drivers door is in a right state because the always break in by pulling the door top and reaching in.

I live in a decent area but its a private road with not much lighting and no no street lights.

Cheers anyhow guys (Y)

I wouldn't bother with alarms, I can't say I have ever heard a car alarm and thought 'hmm a car is being stolen' I just think stupid car alarms and ignore it, just like most people.

Nah Scott, you should call the dog '****' because when the scrotes break into your car, they're f##cked :laugh:.

rather than a screaming alarm that everyone ignores, has anyone tried those pager alarms that txt ya when the cars disturbed wherever you are? makes me abit edgy parking in street and not able to know or hear if the cars ok when inside a noisy place or some distance away

the most effective way would be to fit a hidden switch (or combination) of switches that shorts the coil out, most criminals look for devices to bypass id an immobiliser that cuts power to stuff, but i think a shorted coil would have most car thieves baffled :)

there are lots you can do to make your car more secure, but it will never be perfect. with enough time someone can steal your car, they could low loader it away, or push it, smash a window etc.

but here are my pro tips:

tint the windows, even if it is with clear tint, this stops the windows shattering

install sonar sensors, if the door opens or the window breaks the alarm will go off. this will unsettle the criminals at best but it all helps.

remove the door locks. there are some great keyless entry kits, the k10 locks are its biggest weak point. with no locks, no problem!
if you need to get in the car with a flat battery you can install a hidden lock for the tail gate, maybe behind the number plate, or in the wheel arch? or maybe have a reserve battery that you can switch on from outside the car. the thief may be able to switch the switch but it will still do nothing without the remote.

have a hidden switch, or even many, put them in the glove box, under the steering wheel, etc, just somewhere out of sight and unpredictable. also tell no one about them. they can switch off the fuel pump relay, the ignition coil, or even electronically isolate the battery (solid state relays switch without even making a noise and no obvious red battery isolation key)

wire up a proximity sensor which flashes the indicators when someone is near. this wont work more than once but the first time the thief comes up to your car, the indicators will flash like you just pushed the unlock on the remote, or pressed the panic button, they will quickly look around to see where you are, but afterward they will realize its just a proximity sensor

turn up the stereo, its a great trick, but if someone gets your car working and suddenly there is music at full volume it will throw the thieves off guard.

build a metal plate on the floor of the car, and drill a hole in the clutch pedal arm, then you can padlock the clutch down, or have a steel bar to keep the clutch up. unexpected things like this will cause big problems for the average chav.

try not to leave anything in your car, even in the glove box. if they do break in then make it at least a waste of their time.

put something in the exhaust. providing you dont have any leaks in your system, this should stop the engine from running. some kind of black rubber cork with a bit of wire on it so you can pull it out again would work really well. they will spend hours checking the wiring, spark, fuel etc, and never think that the problem is at the back of the car. you could also get a valve welded into your exhaust system which you could operate remotely (i have something similar) when you lock the doors it blocks the exhaust.

put razors on the inside of the door edge behind the rubber seal. normally to get into a k10 you can peel back the corner of the door, you can even do it by hand. if they do they will get cut, leaving blood which can be used to catch them later.

park the car under a light at night, or in a crowed area, you could install a spotlight at home on the drive way etc,

install a camera to record your car being stolen, it helps for the police.

I was thinking you could allways but a key barrel off link very old alarms and link that up then you need the key to put in less lightly to catch it but ease to bypass or I seen some on ebay linked to battery I think I wish people would just leave our stuff alone

put razors on the inside of the door edge behind the rubber seal.

That's evil - I love it (Y). Mind you, in this countryit'd probably be the car owner who got arrested and charging for hurting the ickle moron grr.

That's evil - I love it (Y). Mind you, in this countryit'd probably be the car owner who got arrested and charging for hurting the ickle moron grr.

only if the police get involved, if you take matters into your own hands and build a new patio with chav bricks, no ones going to miss them!

Back