Car runs happily after a jump start. Battery, Alternator or Alternator Belt?

Hi all,

Just joined the site - did a quick search for the fault in the forums but didn’t find anything so apologies if I’m asking a well worn question!

Have a venerable K11 1.3i 16v that has an issue starting after being unused for several months. Appears to have no power whatsoever (central locking won’t, no lights internal or external, not even the clock showing).

The battery is > 3years old and appears to be fully charged when plugged into a charger.

Jump starting the car works every time and he runs fine with no dimming of lights etc. Running the engine for 30 minutes seems to put a little more charge in and lights/clock will run after switching off the engine for a while, but trying to crack the engine again drops it completely.

Prior to lockdown and these problems, the belt for the power steering and alternator was squeaking quite badly and I don’t think they’ve ever been changed (‘98 plate). FWIW, it’s with AirCon but I don’t know if the

So...

Is it the alternator, belt, battery or combination of the lot?

Over to you lovely people!

Most likely bad battery. Grab a multimeter and check the voltage of it. And check it with the engine running.
Or go to a garage and let them test it.

Back