car over heating

ok so i noticed yest when i was running the car in for an mot that it was going into the red going to hot but before it became an issue i had already got it to the garage and kinda forgot about it. Today I was going on a long ish journey and sitting in alot of traffic when the car really over heated it went above the red for a while and eventually started cutting out (it was bunny hopping i had to stick hazards on and get down a side road). Any way i lifted the bonnet and noticed engine coolent had completely gone was really bone dry and I only filled it up about 4 days ago. I waited for it to cool and gave it another go but it kept heating up so had to pull down another side road. I then waited for it to cool down and put about 1.5 litres in after 5 mins it sucked it all in so i added more, fired it up and managed to get it home (about 8 miles) when I got it home half the coolent had gone again so I topped it back up like before. The hazard light on the dash has stayed on (its like an orange and it says check, not sure what it means or how to get rid of it either, any one know?)

Basically all I was wondering is if this was a common problem with micras (like the water pump may have gone or something) or if any one has an idea of what the problem might be.

It looks as if everything is working as it should AS LONG AS the water/coolent doesnt run out (like it has due to leaking or something) and I have noticed slight wet patches being formed where ever my car is parked up if it is there for a while.

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
You need to park it up and get underneath it with a torch. Just a case of finding the leak and dealing with the relevant hose, clip or leak :).

Stani1029

Club Member
yeah its minor if it is a leak, best thing to do is put cardbaord under the car while running to see where and if there is a leak. there could be many things up with it, head gasket, radiator, thermostat, water pump. and you are putting coolant and not just water in there yeah? i normally fill the radiator up until it wont take anymore, start the car and let it run with the radiator cap off, watch the water level decrease and keep filling it until it wont take more. that way the whole system should be filled.

OP
OP
T
today it was just water but will put engine coolant tomorrow. thanks for the help guys. what do you normally use to fix/seal it up if its a leak?

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
it seems your very lucky if its just a standard leak
and your hazard orange check chek checkitt light goes of eventually by itself if you sort the leak - is that correct anyone?

OP
OP
T
yeah its leaking right next to the belt some where cant see where exactly as its dripping through the gaps gonna have a better look when its not raining!

Stani1029

Club Member
near the water pump by the sound of things, it may be the metal pipe that runs from the thermostat around the back of the engine and into the water pump. theres an o-ring that sometimes fail. not a hard fix if it is this

OP
OP
T
is leaking directly from water pump, think the gasket on it has gone. got a new water pump but think it might be curtains for my car as i know the bolts are likely to be rotten to #### and may snap off in the engine and its not worth dragging the whole engine out on that motor any more.

frank

Club Member
its usully the seal that goes (when the bearing is worn) and the bolts wont be rusted in fwn, and you only have to remove the one engine mount and lift or lower the end of the engine for access

OP
OP
T
all went quite well considering how i thought it would be. The rubber gasket was completely gone so had to scrape the rest of it off the engine before putting the new gasket and water pump on but that went ok. Had an air lock at first but took off the radiator cap (with a towel, not recommended either way though!) and that opened it up. Just a matter of time now keeping an eye on the water level see if its been a success.

frank

Club Member
all went quite well considering how i thought it would be. The rubber gasket was completely gone so had to scrape the rest of it off the engine before putting the new gasket and water pump on but that went ok. Had an air lock at first but took off the radiator cap (with a towel, not recommended either way though!) and that opened it up. Just a matter of time now keeping an eye on the water level see if its been a success.

no pics and tutorial ? :(