Car keeps cutting out when first started.

Hi, I've got another problem again. My Micra keeps stalling just after starting when I declutch and come to a stop, or just free wheel. It only does this for about the first minute after starting up and fortunately enough my road is private so theres not much traffic.

If the engines warmed up it doesn't do it, so its normally first thing in the morning. Basically what it does to me every morning is the following. I start it up (using my fuel pump switch off button) as it floods most days. Turn the fuel pump back on, then reverse down my drive. As I push the clutch down to go into reverse, the battery light comes on telling me the engines cut out. I restart it, and drive down the road. We've got a pinch point so I usually slow down through this and then dip the clutch to change into first. As I dip the clutch, she cuts out on me again (I've adapted to go through here in second gear now so it doesn't do it). It doesn't normally cut out on fast gear changes as the idle doesn't get a chance to drop.

After that, I carry on down the road in second and by the time I've got to the end of the road the problems fixed and it drives normally.

Does this sound like a throttle body problem to you? I've got new spark plugs and a new fuel filter. I also cleaned all the deposits off the dizzy arm with wd40 but it still does it.

Hi, did you ever find the solution to this problem? I am having exactly the same problem at the moment. Sometimes it wont start up again for about 10mins after it cuts out though!?

Smc92

Ex. Club Member
It sounds like TB, this happened to mine, it started off only stalling when cold but eventually started doing it when warm, i just went to a scrapyard got another and put it in because the re-soldering guide that i followed only appears to be a temp fix, so yeah £30 for a new TB from a scrappers and put that on and it was fine for ages, but then it felt like it was starting to do it again so changed the plug leads and its been perfect since, so it could be TB or plug leads (thats in my experience anway, that might not be the issue at all)