Can't select 2nd, 4th, or Reverse?

My Wife's Micra has some sort of gear selector issue. It cannot get 2nd 4th or reverse.
The RAC guy called it a gear selector issue. I've driven it home in 1st and 3rd although meeting a car coming the other way on our narrow street and not being able to reverse was interesting. What's sign language for I can't reverse?!
Now I need to get it fixed.
Anyone got any idea what the problem actually is and what sort of cost may be involved? Will it need new parts fitted by a garage or is it something I could buy used and fit myself - I'm fairly competent!

Any help much appreciated!

James

MicraPRO

Part Of The Furniture
I had very similar problem but I only had 1st and 5th... But after a look it was just a loose gear selecta fork bit of an arse if I'm honest but I've got all 5 gears back and been gifted with reverse again :)
Hope this helps James
Tom :)

Tchaaa

Buy & Sell Member
Considering second, fourth and reverse are all in line with one another I think I'd also go with something being funny with the gear selector.

My dad once had a mini with only second and third gears and apparently drove it around with it like that for a year, doing several long trips as well, can only imagine it must have been hell as so far I've been lucky and had no gearbox problems (so far, touch wood).

OP
OP
B
Thanks for the replies! Turns out the RAC guy missed that it was simply a snapped gear cable. Still it was fairly costly to get replaced but she's back on the road now :)