Cant get over 50 mph!

My k10 wont go over 50 mph on the motorway. There is a sort of a juddering movement around 50 like it wants to go faster but somthing is restricting it. I have also heard some loud clicking noises from the engine bay, the sort of noise it would make if it was going to cut out. Could these problems be due to dirt in the carb?

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
does it have problems high-reving? could be fuel filter/carb perhapes?

urm other then that could be something ignition is ###### (like a HT lead is finding an earth rather then a spark hence the loud clicking)

i would have fort even a K10 should do 80+ flat out ;)

OP
OP
S
Around town is fine even in high revs. I put a new fuel filter on yesterday but that hasnt made a difference. Im considering taking my K & N air filter off to see wether that will make a difference. Ive had the filter on for a year though without any problems.

W

winstonerogers

mines does roughly 85 on the motorways and downhill i have reached 95, mind you i never drive this fast tjis is what ive heard :suspect:

Car 1989 Micra 1.2GSX Manual 3DR

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
All K10's whether 1.0 or 1.2 will hit 80+, so theres definitly something at fault

OP
OP
S
Ive cleaned all plugs and made sure everything is secured tightly. I do let the tank run to nearly empty on the fuel gauge, so maybe some muck could have been picked up from the tank. The problem first occurred on the motorway when i was cruising along at 70 mph, it then started stuttering and loosing power, that's when the clicking noise started to kick in.

W

winstonerogers

check the summer/winter switch, as it could be on summer causing cold air to get into the carb and causing it to freeze.

if youre certain that your revs can go high quite happily in all the lower gears then I would say that the fault is kicking in due to something vibrating due to the higher road-speed.

Clicking...hmmmm?

I am assuming you can hear this clicking from inside the cabin while doing 50..thats a pretty loud clicking...and so I don't think this is electrical arcing...or a fueling problem......more likely to be something mechanical...

Is the clicking very fast and regular ( with the engine speed...or with the road speed) or is it an intermittent irregular tapping?

Is your semi choke working fine on a morning? Perhaps your choke flap has become detached from the BImetal coil and is flapping causing a flood?

Does the clicking come on like a switch or does it creep in gradually?

also, are you certain your firing on 4 (smooth free reving) or does it sound like a beefy growl? 3 cylinders or less....I dont think 3 cylinders would get you over 50mph....anyone?

ill keep thinking

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
mine did this once would go above 70 turned out the dissy was ######, im surprised you havnt called me about it, bring it round and ill sort it out mate i have plenty of spares to fix it ;)

OP
OP
S
SammoHung: The car runs as normal below 50mph eg has no problems getting to 40mph in 2nd, so all revs are fine. In 3rd and sometimes 4th gear i can get over 50 mph but when i go into 5th there is no more power left in it, and starts to slow down. This is when the clicking noise appears, it judders like it would if the engine was damp, then makes the clicking noise. The clicking is deffantly coming from the engine bay. Trying to get over 50mph in 5th the clicking becomes regular. It could be that im not running on all cylinders, however as ive said any speed below 50 in high revs is fine.

(Matt if i fail to fix it myself, i will contact you)

59 bhp is more than enough

Deactivated Account
not being funny mate but from the clicking and the juddering it sounds like one of the ht leads has come loose and is sparking on the engine somewhere and hence only runnning on 3 cylinders. lift the bonnet and start the engine. try and locate the clicking

OP
OP
S
59 bhp is more than enough said:
not being funny mate but from the clicking and the juddering it sounds like one of the ht leads has come loose and is sparking on the engine somewhere and hence only runnning on 3 cylinders. lift the bonnet and start the engine. try and locate the clicking

I wish it was as simple as that. The clicking happens when my foot is to the floor around 50mph. So basically when the engine is under pressure, not on tick-over.

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
My engine was really ticking and then the cable which goes into the ignition coil fell out!! Luckily i was doing about 2mph at the time, could have been nasty otherwise!

Check that :)

Also, my engine ticked quite a bit when i had a bad earth on my ICE. Turns out the earth cable on my cd changer got disconnected but you really could hear it in the engine bay. Didnt stop me doing 50+ tho so probably doesnt help you, just thought it might be worth mentioning?!

K

Kyle

winstonerogers said:
mines does roughly 85 on the motorways and downhill i have reached 95, mind you i never drive this fast tjis is what ive heard :suspect:

Car 1989 Micra 1.2GSX Manual 3DR

I have an auto GSX and on a track day;-) i can get 87mph tops, there arent many hills on track days;-) but mayb 90 if lucky

A

andrewb150

The clicking is proberley because when the engine is under heavy load/pressure in 5th gear @50+ the ignition spark no longer sparks correctley in the cylinder. The spark will follow the route of lowest resistance and may be sparking onto the bodywork.

In short the most liley problem is:

"The spark is tracking under load"

There may be a crack in the distributor cap or one of the HighTension leads may be at fault. You should be able to see a line of where the spark has shorted onto the bodywork, giving you an idea of where the fault lies.

The timing belt could also be at fault if you have had it replaced recentley, and you are suffering "pre ignition". Where the spark is sparking at the wrong time.

I have olmoust the same problem, I cant get it to high revs, gas pedal goes only alf vei ven the engin starts to stutter. It goes to 4000 rpm and then the engin starts to stutter and loos power.I have cleaned the carb, tried another carb, put it didnt help, I hope somone can help me whit this and you cud anderstand what I mean.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Mraider said:
I have olmoust the same problem, I cant get it to high revs, gas pedal goes only alf vei ven the engin starts to stutter. It goes to 4000 rpm and then the engin starts to stutter and loos power.I have cleaned the carb, tried another carb, put it didnt help, I hope somone can help me whit this and you cud anderstand what I mean.

Start with ignition 4000 rpm is roughly where the car makes the most torque and as such if you have a very weak spark it is here that you will have problems.

First of all, clean around the coil make sure there is no dirt or oil around the contacts.

Fit new spark plug leads.

Fit new sparkplugs and set the gap to 1.0mm

Change the rotor arm and distributor cap.

This is almost guaranteed to fix your problem.

Ed

I vill try thous things.

The problem starts when the secondary side opens in the carb, using only the primary side it works well. When I drive I hav to be real careful with throttle ore it starts to skip.

Courior

Fat ppl r harder 2 kidnap
if all else fails.. a rolling road may be a way of diagnosing the prob at 50mph while the car is stationary (and engine under load) ... or u can rev the engine from under the bonnet by pulling the throttle cable by hand, (u prob know this already and im gonna sound stupid) .. Good luck with this mate, hope its an easy fix!