Can't get in - help!

Hi. New to this forum and wondering if anyone can help?
Have a 2007 K12 1.2 Micra.
It has been standing for a a few months and now needs to be moved.
Battery is completely dead and so have attempted to get into it manually by way of removing the handle cover and using the key.
Unfortunately, key just turns and doesn't release the door.
Nissan dealer could only say that as battery was dead, it would affect the locking mechanism manually and had no idea how to overcome this.
Obviously, I need to get to the battery to charge it but there seems no way into the car.
Other than doing something drastic to get in, does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.

Manually unlock the boot? I can't remember if they have an override
Hi Chie. Many thanks for replying. I couldn't find anywhere to put the key in the boot area ......is there a keyhole somewhere there too?....all I could see was a rubberised area underneath the boot lid to squeeze/pull but that only will work if there's power.

a jump lead on the starter or alternator is standard practice
Hi Frank. Many thanks for replying.
Please forgive as I'm not that mechanically minded but do you mean getting under the car's engine bay and clamping a lead on from underneath?

Just wish there was a way to get the bonnet open as obviously the release lever is inside the car.....just can't understand why the key in the door won't manually override it.

frank

Club Member
Hi Frank. Many thanks for replying.
Please forgive as I'm not that mechanically minded but do you mean getting under the car's engine bay and clamping a lead on from underneath?

Just wish there was a way to get the bonnet open as obviously the release lever is inside the car.....just can't understand why the key in the door won't manually override it.
yes mate, you will probably need to jack it up eh

Is the backup key on the door electrical or mechanical?
Hi Vexorg.
Many thanks for replying.
The key is mechanical and therefore it makes no sense that in putting it in the door lock, it just turns approximately 180 degrees but nothing happens/it unlocks......seems that despite the ignition key being used in this way, it still relies on electrical power to open the lock.
I will attempt Frank's advice and see whether a jump lead on the starter / alternator does the trick.

If it's mechanical then it should physically pull the lock to unlock for that door.
Electrical means it just a switch that triggers the central locking - useless with a dead battery.

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
I was sure if you remove the cover on the handle on the passenger side you can use the key. The key is manual and having a flat battery should not stop the key working.

I would spray a bit of lube in the lock and jiggle. Then push the door in and out a bit using the handle ( be sensible :) . After a few minutes mine popped open. It worked for me on car which had sat for 3 years.
Otherwise Franks method.
I do not think there is a boot manual key on this model - only passenger door.
Good luck.

You all know you can use the key, on the passenger door don’t you. Just flip the cover off of the handle. There is a small notch in the plastic to aid removal. Easy.

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
You all know you can use the key, on the passenger door don’t you. Just flip the cover off of the handle. There is a small notch in the plastic to aid removal. Easy.
Sometimes I wonder, why this can't be said just by left or right side of vehicle? :unsure::rolleyes:

On my Micra, cover is on the drivers door, on the left side of the vehicle! ;)

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Since it's got a " .uk " on the web address, then it the passenger door ,and your car is built wrong :D
Conclusion, my Micra is build in UK wrongly? :rolleyes:
Where you are driving on the wrong side of the roads?! :unsure::oops:;)
Regardless where cars are used, left side door is always on the left. Location of driver or passanger doesn't change it...??? :rolleyes::unsure:

If you are working in the engine bay, and I say it's on the left side, where would you look, timing belt/chain side, or gearbox side?

Hi Vexorg.
Many thanks for replying.
The key is mechanical and therefore it makes no sense that in putting it in the door lock, it just turns approximately 180 degrees but nothing happens/it unlocks......seems that despite the ignition key being used in this way, it still relies on electrical power to open the lock.
I will attempt Frank's advice and see whether a jump lead on the starter / alternator does the trick.
Hi, I know this is late but the same problem is happening to my Nissan Micra. Did trying it Frank’s way fix it?