Canadian Micra

I have just acquired a 1989 Canadian spec Micra. Seems to differ a bit from the UK spec cars with having the 1.2L engine standard and the sealed beam headlights. It is a bit rough but will be my winter car for now and perhaps a future project car.

It was pulled behind a RV in a previous life so the hood is missing a lot of paint. The tires are shot on it and are only 12" in size. Came with three good 12" tires but I have no idea where I'd find a fourth. The spare is less tall. So bought some 13" Honda Civic rims with winters tires. Will need a spacer to fit properly. Engine and interior is on the dirty side but sorting that now.

as bought

The dirty interior. I haven't got a chance to clean it yet but it is high on the priority list. Believe it or not those seats covers were thrown in for free :)

Strictly a four seater with only four seat belts. Quite narrow so probably no room for a fifth. I can lean over an unlock the passenger door with our leaning. I took my boys for a quick ride in it and the middle one asked "why is your car so small?" No carpets here - just rubber mat interior. Happily I found about $2.12 in the car so I've reduced my purchase price by over one percent!

with the "big" Civic rims. Now just to sort that wonky bumper ...

Welcome Dave :grinning:. I bet to most Americans and Canadians, a Micra looks like a child's toy :laugh:.

I love the front. Can you do me a favour? Can you please make a photo with the open bonnet which shows the back ob the headlights? I want to know if they are different in their dimension. if they are smaller

Thanks all. I'll get that headlight photo for you tonight. Not many around Canada anymore (never sold in the US) but they are significantly smaller than the average. I also have a '73 Mazda 808 coupe which is close to the same size. There is one other in town that is quite a bit nicer than mine.

here are the headlight shots.

6489416061_ac47e9084c_b.jpg

6489414463_4e41013ba5_b.jpg

6489412977_0fbbe2491c_b.jpg

A couple photos of the Micra. 1.2L / 5spd. I love this car! Lots of fun to drive. Rather like a 2/3 scale VW Golf. I had to put the stupid 12" wheels back on for a short time.

The previous owner nicknamed it "The Dragon" after this and another decal (spells out Dragon on the rear window). A rather grand name for an unassuming little car. It is a brand of snowboard/ski goggles. Interesting that a brand goggles can inspire such loyalty as you'd use their logo to decorate your car with.

On another note this car is great fun to drive. Very toss-able and work the engine without really brake any traffic laws. I would like to add a tach though. Might wire an old Lada Niva one I have. The wife doesn't like it as it does look quite shabby. Hopefully I can make it look a little less rough over the next few months.

A '59 Caddy is a little bigger ...

i bet its a hoot to drive in that snow!

you get different snow to us i believe... we get very very wet snow.... but we did have some of that fun fluffly stuff last year!

and a good old bit of t-cut will sort that out!

you should check out Retro Rides
if you like this retro stuff

Back