Can anyone make sense of the haynes instructions on adjusting auto kick down cable

Charlotte001

Ex. Club Member
I'm trying to make sense of the instructions to adjust the kick down cable on the auto box for the early 1.0 What is movement of L?

I can't get to the mechanical part of the forums as my membership cheque has gone missing.

Charlotte

If you have the Haynes manual and turn to the part refering to the kick down cable on the automatic tranmission you will see it makes no sense at all

it says:With the carburettor throttle lever held in full throttle position , move the cable end fitting in the direction of T (T being the cable housing backwards)Tighten the nuts to elimate free play (i can't find any free play) unscrew one nut 1.5 turns and do up with lower nut (that makes sense)
Check that the throttle cable end fitting movement L (what the heck L is is anyones guess) is within specified tollerances !! (huh!!!)

Can anyone translate this into sensible language plz

Charlotte

Charlotte

auto's "kick down" when drive is selected and you bury the throttle- engine drops a gear, or two, and they hold in gear longer than normal so achieve higher revs in each gear when in kickdown. its normally around the last quarter of accelerator travel that kickdown is engaged (never driven a nissan one though)

as for adjusting the cable that doesnt make sense to me :( sorry i cant help

so i guess if the cable is tighter then the kickdown would happen sooner. So what i think haynes is saying that the cable doesnt want to be too tight that you cant go full throttle but you dont want it too loose that it doesnt work properly.

Ryan.

I can't get to the mechanical part of the forums as my membership cheque has gone missing.

That's not good! However if that's the case, it won't be cashed. You can use paypal to sign up or send another cheque, probably by recorded post so you know where it is.

Back