Can anyone identify this grinding noise on start up?

Recently this is the noise I sometimes get on ignition.
Sometimes it’s fine, usually does it first thing in the morning but it seems pretty random.
No other issues apart from my fan belt is often slipping a lot.

I’m trying to work out if I should scrap it in 3 months when it’s MOT is due.
Currently I need to put a new wheel bearings in 1 wheel, 2 new tyres & balanced, new fan belt fitted, this grinding noise fixing and drum brake pads

Attachments

• media.io_3f4ed83f4ffc17a575c63b6ac27bbf8c.zip
    8.5 MB · Views: 286

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Recently this is the noise I sometimes get on ignition.
Sometimes it’s fine, usually does it first thing in the morning but it seems pretty random.
No other issues apart from my fan belt is often slipping a lot.

I’m trying to work out if I should scrap it in 3 months when it’s MOT is due.
Currently I need to put a new wheel bearings in 1 wheel, 2 new tyres & balanced, new fan belt fitted, this grinding noise fixing and drum brake pads
Sounds like the starter motor not cleanly disengaging when the engine starts up, engagement mech needs cleaning and NOT oiling........
Why consider scrapping a car for what are really standard maintenance items that you would need to do on any older car as a matter of course? Nothing in your list that is not to be expected at sometime in an older car, none of them are seriously expensive. Better the devil you know. Any second hand car you replace it with could well have more serious issues lurking .....

Last edited:
Sounds like the starter motor not cleanly disengaging when the engine starts up, engagement mech needs cleaning and NOT oiling........
Why consider scrapping a car for what are really standard maintenance items that you would need to do on any older car as a matter of course? Nothing in your list that is not to be expected at sometime in an older car, none of them are seriously expensive. Better the devil you know. Any second hand car you replace it with could well have more serious issues lurking .....

Yeah I managed to find a relevant thread after posting this.
I was going to buy one and replace it but if I can clean it I’d rather do that.
I’ll search for some I for some info on how to clean it as I’m no expert

It’s kinda weird man.
I got my alternator belt and fan belt tightened today. (He said alternator was pretty loose)
(I haven’t had any battery issues)
Since then it doesn’t make that noise when I start up.
How can the two be related?
I knew one of the belts was loose but that was a different noise from a different location.

Maybe it’s just coincidence and for whatever reason it’s not making the start up noise today

It’s kinda weird man.
I got my alternator belt and fan belt tightened today. (He said alternator was pretty loose)
(I haven’t had any battery issues)
Since then it doesn’t make that noise when I start up.
How can the two be related?
I knew one of the belts was loose but that was a different noise from a different location.

Maybe it’s just coincidence and for whatever reason it’s not making the start up noise today

Lol it hasn’t done it the last 10 starts but it just did then. Please ignore all of that

So do I need to remove the starter motor, disassemble it a bit and clean it how exactly?

Sorry for being a nuisance

So do I need to remove the starter motor, disassemble it a bit and clean it how exactly?

Sorry for being a nuisance

Very old belts tend to dry out & make various noises @ various times.

When the belts are noisy, spray each with water, one by one to test & identify which belt is noisy on start up or when running?

When the starter is working ok, “If it is not broke don’t fix it”.

Unnecessary work on the starter can induce faults where none previously existed when it’s already working ok.

Starter & belts noise is not relevant to the imminent MOT due.

Now is the time to focus on getting it through the MOT if you want to avoid the expense of scrapping it & having to buy another vehicle?

Good luck.

Last edited:
Very old belts tend to dry out & make various noises @ various times.

When the belts are noisy, spray each with water, one by one to test & identify which belt is noisy on start up or when running?

When the starter is working ok, “If it is not broke don’t fix it”.

Unnecessary work on the starter can induce faults where none previously existed when it’s already working ok.

Starter & belts noise is not relevant to the imminent MOT due.

Now is the time to focus on getting it through the MOT if you want to avoid the expense of scrapping it & having to buy another vehicle?

Good luck.

Thanks for teaching me how to test the belts.

Yeah I think I’ll have a go at cleaning the starter motor once it’s done with it’s MOT