Camshaft Sensor and Dizzy to Coilpack conversion

Hi all,

I have a few questions tonight:

Firstly does anyone know what voltage the signal wire from the 3 pin cam sensor should read? I am getting 0.5Mohms of resistance between signal and ground and 11.03 volts when using a 12.5V bench supply across power and earth. When i move a metal (ferrous) object over the sensor the signal voltage remains constant. Do i need to have a pull down resistor for bench testing? or can i assume the sensor is shot? its worth noting i may or may not have reversed the polarity at some point between power and earth (is this a good chance of breaking the sensor?!)

Secondly, the reason for the dizzy to coil pack engine i got a cheap 1.3 dizzy to replace my 1.0 coil pack (i may have chipped a piston and will also help with the turbo lag...), an oversight by me was not transferring the idle/timing gear that has the small metal pin to trigger the cam sensor, the engine is super clean so i was hoping to loctite bond a neodymium magnet to the gear in the hope that will trigger the sensor and be able to withstand the RPM / heat. Any thoughts? i don't fancy hoisting the engine out just to swap the timing gear...

Sorry I can not offer you wiring help but surely getting some coilpacks from breaker is doable? I view myself as going far with my Micra but glueing a magnet that will rev to 7000 doesn't sound like a plan to me. Please reconsider this because you are adding a weak point, though if you pull this off and you ran a few thousand miles driven hard let us know. Also I would love coilpack over dizzy since I drove a standard hr12de (k13) very notable

Sorry I can not offer you wiring help but surely getting some coilpacks from breaker is doable? I view myself as going far with my Micra but glueing a magnet that will rev to 7000 doesn't sound like a plan to me. Please reconsider this because you are adding a weak point, though if you pull this off and you ran a few thousand miles driven hard let us know. Also I would love coilpack over dizzy since I drove a standard hr12de (k13) very notable
Thanks Richard, I thought I did the math correct with the force from the angular velocity, the force from the magnet as well as the shear force from the stated glue, and it says it’s good for well over 10K RPM, maybe I’ll double check that... on another thought will the magnet have to be exactly in the correct position for the timing? Or is the timing done one per Rev rather than exactly the position compared to the timing of ignition? Does that make sense?

Back