Camchain

Do I have to take engine out for change chain?

Missing step-by-step manual for chain change on Nissan Micra CR12DE (k12)03-10

The chain itself is not an expensive item, However removal of the engine and fitting it will be.
Out of interest what year model is the micra and also are you sure its the cam chain and not the aux belt that is located on the outside and relatively easy to access from the drivers side wheel well.. ?

Early k12s suffer from the timing chain stretch issue late ones do not have the same problem as far as I'm aware.

My micra is 2005 and the engine was changed at 100k Miles probably for high mileage to a newer 2007 engine.

When its really cold such as today I hear the aux belt making some noise. The engine sounds a little less than silent.
On warm days tho it sounds really quiet.

Hope that you find this information helpful.

Last edited:
Here is a short youtube video showing the timing chain.
Isn't a complete guide to installing.Does show some important information that you may be interested in..

You can check the tensioner to see if it has failed.
And you do not need to remove the engine to check this.
I did not know that they can fail only that the chain stretches over time and usage.

This is a better view or guide of what you may need to do although this is almera not micra..

Last edited:
Here is a short youtube video showing the timing chain.
Isn't a complete guide to installing.Does show some important information that you may be interested in..

You can check the tensioner to see if it has failed.
And you do not need to remove the engine to check this.
I did not know that they can fail only that the chain stretches over time and usage.

This is a better view or guide of what you may need to do although this is almera not micra..
Thank you for your interest in helping. Unfortunately I have seen these films but they do not show what I need. I can't remove the upper oil pan and the lower camshaft cover.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Micra Sports Club mobile app

You should get a Haynes manual and find one of the workshop manuals for the micra.
I would recommend the Workshop manual over Haynes.
However its useful to have both.
The workshop manuals sometimes are available to download or you can buy the CD at eBay.
In the mean time I will have a look to see if I can find something showing those areas.

Will not allow an upload atm.
If you do get the same manual the pan is B1 -EM page 24-26..
And I do not find in search lower cam cover.

Last edited:
I have downloaded a workshop manual and I have the Haynes book and I have Autodata.
Don't know if I'm stupid or chicken or both, but I can't find any more bolts that hold and I've used a oil pan sealing cutter but the upper oil pan wants to go off and the lower front plate wants to be removed from the oil strainer.

You should try to locate any others before attempting removal.
It could be just stuck on really well and causing it to feel like a bolt is left on.
I know when I go to remove anything from my micra if its a plastic trim I always manage to snap the clips.
I'm sure if you wiggle it about side to side if there is a bolt you will be able to feel the difference.
Most of the time a little extra brute force is needed.
But again I have gotten a few awards for snapping things off were hidden clips are.
I would mostly try to avoid any damage to both the lower and upper pan as if they warp slightly you may have to replace the part.
Bottom pan oil strainer has 8 bolts
So you should have remove all 8
Upper oil pan has 12 bolts.

Last edited:
F i n a l l y ! ! ! ?
I was obviously a chicken.
When I got it confirmed how many bolts it was, I dared to hit harder.
Incredible that it could get stuck so hard.
Many thanks for the support.
Now it remains the rest, hope for better flow....

Back