burning smell

afternoon all, last week my k-11 was fine but this week from monday onwards in the morings when i go to work i head a sqwicking sound wich i thought was comeing form the passangerside front left hand wheel.the stering felt a but heavy and when i am coasting the speed drop realy fast,i also had the heater on and a coupel of times i semelt burning like some one was burning plastic, just went for a quick drive and its seams fine any thoughts of whats going on thanks fwn

if it was binding for a while then you should change your brake fluid when you fix the brakes as it will have boiled and is then not as good (or so i was told)

OP
OP
004w
if it was binding for a while then you should change your brake fluid when you fix the brakes as it will have boiled and is then not as good (or so i was told)

what is brake binding, and if it was binding(what are the simtoms)and how do i go about fixing this problem, thanks

what is brake binding, and if it was binding(what are the simtoms)and how do i go about fixing this problem, thanks

Jack your car up and spin the wheel, if it's hard to turn or stops spinning fairly quickly,
then you have a binding issue which means a partially seized caliper.

this will probably mean you may have a warped brake disc also

Change the caliper and disc if this is the problem.

OP
OP
004w
hows this happen? iv just changed the discs and pads(brand new) 3 months a go,how do you sort out a seized caliper,thanks

frank

Club Member
hows this happen? iv just changed the discs and pads(brand new) 3 months a go,how do you sort out a seized caliper,thanks

its usually just a buildup of rust, and you may find that 1 pad has more wear :eek:
just file any rust off and re-grease the slides

from experience spurious/generic discs that seem like great value from a motor factors can sometimes be very prone to warping...
We had an 04 Seat Leon in the garage with the same warped disc problem 3 times, kept replacing them with TRW discs, the kept warping but in fairness TRW kept replacing them under warranty...
In the end got a set of genuine Seat discs, no more problems :D

from experience spurious/generic discs that seem like great value from a motor factors can sometimes be very prone to warping...
We had an 04 Seat Leon in the garage with the same warped disc problem 3 times, kept replacing them with TRW discs, the kept warping but in fairness TRW kept replacing them under warranty...
In the end got a set of genuine Seat discs, no more problems :D

Yeah, andyseadog is correct, I've also seen this happen with Pugs & Citroens, and on various Toyota/Nissan/honda cars,
where the owners have spent the bare minimum in servicing the brakes/tyres. ffs
Buy the cheapest and you recieve inferior quality,

There was a saying by Honda a few years ago: there IS a difference between a spare part for a Honda and a Honda spare part!

sound ill put the old ones back on and get a re-fund on the ones i take off(Eurocar parts)

yep, euroscrap strikes again! but they aren't the only culprits.

When you change them take out the brake pads and give the area where the pads sit and the caliper sliding pins a good clean and some copperslip grease

how about the brake caliper piston ?

inspect your caliper first, if the rubber bellows protecting the piston is damaged there is a significant possibility the piston could be pitted with rust and therefore causing interference between the piston and the bore of the caliper, ie. sticking piston

there IS a difference between a spare part for a Honda and a Honda spare part!
liking it!!!!!
dealers need to get more competitive with parts pricing though!
I remember pricing front and rear pads for an 05 sonata for a guy when i was in hyundai.... was nearly flipping 500 just for parts, FLIP!!!

liking it!!!!!
dealers need to get more competitive with parts pricing though!
I remember pricing front and rear pads for an 05 sonata for a guy when i was in hyundai.... was nearly flipping 500 just for parts, FLIP!!!

yep the pricing issue needs seen to:
look at ford for example, it usually costs around the same for spurious parts as the motorcraft/ford service items

I asked the local Toyota stealer in derry a couple of years ago for a cv joint for a jdm St202 celica:- their reply was that will be £250 sir.
I told them (ffs) my car had 250k on the clock and i didnt want to but a whole car
Then bought a pair of cv joints off fleabay!- £75 inc post&Pack. They are still in the car and no probs

OP
OP
004w
UPDATE,as for the above there good as new, both left and right brake pads have even wear same gose for the discs cleaned where the brake pads sit inc the pins look like new put them all back together and it still rubbing what the f**** going on ???????????.

UPDATE,as for the above there good as new, both left and right brake pads have even wear same gose for the discs cleaned where the brake pads sit inc the pins look like new put them all back together and it still rubbing what the f**** going on ???????????.

:laugh::laugh:have you checked the caliper isn't sticking?:wow::wow:

OP
OP
004w
na wound it back with the clamp before i did that checked the outer rubber all o.k on rust on the piston but just in case i put some copper grease on it then wound it back

Are your discs held onto the hub with a retaining screw?.. If they are supposed to be check the screw is in place, not some cowboy nipped the head off the screw and didnt bother removing the shank. I've seen some Pugs/####rons/renaults with this problem: the disc has then spun on the hub face and the is slight protrusion of the broken screw is giving a simulation of warped discs. take some emery paper to clean the face of the hub and make sure there is nothing sticking to the back of the disc where the hub sits against.

OP
OP
004w
Are your discs held onto the hub with a retaining screw?.. If they are supposed to be check the screw is in place, not some cowboy nipped the head off the screw and didnt bother removing the shank. I've seen some Pugs/####rons/renaults with this problem: the disc has then spun on the hub face and the is slight protrusion of the broken screw is giving a simulation of warped discs. take some emery paper to clean the face of the hub and make sure there is nothing sticking to the back of the disc where the hub sits against.

no the discs arnt held onto the hub with a retaining screw 2 screws to hold the break caliper and 2 hold the plate wich houses the 2 brake pads

Hello.
I have a burning smoky smell coming from the vents, but only when I start up the car, in a few seconds is gone. I am thinking about the starter brush. Could this be smelly, when it is more or less used?