Building a ma12 advice please

I've taken a leap and had a go at autograssing (recommend it to you all..check it out..cheap racing and a great laugh(Y)) in a mighty micra and now would like to build a decent class2 engine out of the bits I've collected but would appreciate any advice and contacts as I've never built a complete engine up before, or done much more than basic service and repair but want to give it a go.
here's what Ive got so far:
Dave Walker head skimmed and tidied up
Su on swan neck
+ 50 pistons and block bored to suit
paygen head set
also got msd ingnition module but no idea how it works or how to wire it up (came in a box of bits)
tubular exhaust manifold
I've a couple of ma engines and gear boxes (any particular box better than another..how do you recognise them?)
What other bearings, seals etc should I get and who supplies them,local motorfactor said "no chance" for big/small end bearings which I guess should be done while on the bench.
what else should I do to the engine etc? Any top tips. (I've got to keep within the class 2 regs so no lightening and balancing )
I've also heard that front hubs/struts and wishbones are a straight swap from a K11 is this true..cos then I'd get a front anti roll bar.
What diameter springs can be fitted as in the boxes bits there are some 2.25 ? inch and some smaller 1.9 inch?
Anything else???fwn
not looking for a world beater just some fun in the mud and the satisfaction of putting it together myself. cheers guys

The front shocks n springs are a straight swap from a k11 but not the hubs or the wishbones, modifications are needed for that the work. The best gearbox for racing would be the short ratio 5-speed (identified by the code on the flat part at the top behind the bracket for the clutch cable), the code should have an A5 at the end of it (i think, the 4 means long ratio).
Was the ma12 you're using a cat set-up? If so converting to the origional non-cat carb set-up will help it out, and you can use a standard 1.0l carb for that as the ma10 carb has larger jets than the ma12 carb. Oh and by the way if you have any other ma12's with a long ratio 5-speed attached that you don't want, let me know.

K11 front wishbones are a direct swap, you also need the K11 rear bush clamp. Anti roll bar can be fitted but there isn't anywhere to mount onto the chassis but its quite possible.

ma12 engine build

cheers guys, got a lot of bits just never built up a complete engine so any advice on settings, and suppliers would be much appreciated
(Y)

K11 front wishbones are a direct swap, you also need the K11 rear bush clamp. Anti roll bar can be fitted but there isn't anywhere to mount onto the chassis but its quite possible.

Yes, you can fit them, but they're shorter, giving you massive positive camber, not good
HTH

just thought I would add this to the thread as im building up an ma engine too :D

Ive got a dave walker stage 4 head, an 1986 ma10 with unknown millage (hardly owt from going on the condition of it!) and a lightened flywheel, will be on bike carbs and a 4 branch manifold too. Ive rebuilt plenty of engines, ones at college and rebuilt 1 or 2 bus engines, but this will be the 1st full engine rebuild that is mine and will be going in my car :grinning:

so strip the original engine:

Bloody clean in there to say it was from a D reg!
7d903a76.jpg

That isnt though, new water pump time:
8e2c49ee.jpg

Got the head of too find this:
231a18d7.jpg

Its like bloody new still!
f32c2af8.jpg

here comes the fancy pictures as my dslr camera came in the post today :D

Pistons out of the block:
2db29f7b.jpg

nice clean crank:
0bdf5d26.jpg

Crank shells in bloody good cond
2e4ca72f.jpg

and the car its going in
84134851.jpg

Ill be building it back up with a new water pump and belt tomorrow and will take pics

Neepboy, i raced in micras for the passed 2 years in ireland and won the all ireland championship, had a mega quick k10, what you need to get in a micra is high compression and low weight= good torgue/bhp ratio, you need a short first gear and a long second gear because i found the second gear to be most effective, also what you need is carb and timing tuning, so that your car isnt running lean, if you have more questions just give me a shout, u will love it

1st thing 1st why didnt you ask the very few people on here that do autograss racing and we will put you right....Have you got the new 2011 nasa class 2 rule book.??? because dont do anything until you do

Back