Break squeal

Vitus992

Ex. Club Member
Since getting my 160sr the front breaks have had a nasty squeal on the intial part of travel ( unless I break hard).
I was hoping it was jusy a glazing issue and a few heavy breakinigs would clear the issue but no.
So is it a case of new pads or discs as well?
And I wonder if there is a tutorial anywhere!!

OP
OP
Vitus992

Vitus992

Ex. Club Member
not yet - that will be my first port of call I think.
OK just to squrt throught the wheel or best off and give the caliper a good going over?

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Take the pads out and run a file across the friction material until flat, put the pads back in with copper grease on the backs of the pads. It will tak a while for the pads to bed back in to the disc so they might not be great for a while.

This always worked for me

OP
OP
Vitus992

Vitus992

Ex. Club Member
Hmmm I can now hear at low speed the passenger side has a very slight squeak even when the breaks are not applied, so this is either a sticking piston or a warped disk?
If the piston is sticking is it wort bothering with break cleaner in the first instance?

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Hmmm I can now hear at low speed the passenger side has a very slight squeak even when the breaks are not applied, so this is either a sticking piston or a warped disk?
If the piston is sticking is it wort bothering with break cleaner in the first instance?

Ok if the caliper is in good condition, this what I told you to do and all the noise will dissappear(Y)

OP
OP
Vitus992

Vitus992

Ex. Club Member
get someone to push the pedal down (very carefully :eek:)
Yes I have done this with my mtb - just not quite as catastrophic! So how do I get them retracted fully (without the tool)?
Just had a look on ebay and there is a drayper one for £20 so I may bid up on that.

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Yes I have done this with my mtb - just not quite as catastrophic! So how do I get them retracted fully (without the tool)?
Just had a look on ebay and there is a drayper one for £20 so I may bid up on that.
Most front caliper you dont need the wind back tool

pollyp

Club Member

on my k11 i just use a g-clamp to push the piston all the way in then a block of wood to prevent the piston coming too far out when pumping it out

OP
OP
Vitus992

Vitus992

Ex. Club Member
Pads out - they look like a few months old - slider pins smooth. Lots of brake cleaner, filed the leading edge of the pads and put plenty of copper grease on (there was none). Job done - all quite.
Many thanks all for answering my inane questions(Y)

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Pads out - they look like a few months old - slider pins smooth. Lots of brake cleaner, filed the leading edge of the pads and put plenty of copper grease on (there was none). Job done - all quite.
Many thanks all for answering my inane questions(Y)

Good job, you can enjoy driving it now(Y)