Brakes stuck on...

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
Alrite :)

2001 K11 - basically both the front brakes seem stuck on....

i jack the car up and turn the wheels by hand and on one side it turns "quite" well... but the brakes are stopping them turning freely, and on the other side its difficult to turn by hand the brakes are stuck on so bad.... wtf causes this?!

they also seems to be fluid something from the big fat bolt on the wheel hub - what fluids are around that area? dont seem to be coming from the caliper so i was wondering could the CV-joint be fubard?

cheers :)

Allan

Ex. Club Member
Had this on my SR on front right, had to end up replacing a couple of bits as the piston thing that pushes the brake pad against the disc kept getting stuck.

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
is this your car?

whats your post code, i could come and fix it since your not to far away,

you probably need the pads cleaning up and the fluid on the hub nut could possibly be copper grease

Its either seized piston, the easy way to fix this is new caliper or keep pushing it in and pressing it out with foot pedal with lots of lube to unseize it. Or seized Pads, just need taking out cleaning up, copper greasing and rebuild back up, or the last thing i can think of is seized caliper sliders, they will need unseizeing with what i use, visegrips just wiggle side to side and grease up then rebuild or if they wont budge, you need to take the caliper holder off (2 bolts) and heat the area up then try again, or might be easier gettin a 2nd hand one :)

OP
OP
R

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
is this your car?

whats your post code, i could come and fix it since your not to far away,

you probably need the pads cleaning up and the fluid on the hub nut could possibly be copper grease

LE5 1EG... id happily come to peterborough though for you to look at it... how much would you be looking at for sorting it?

cheers :) really appreciate it!

also thanks every1 else for advise. doesnt sound as serious as i thought it would be at least...

do you think id be okay to carry on driving it for a week til i get it sorted?

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
only problem is i dont know when i could do it as this weekend coming im going on a cruise to great yarmouth and wont be back till the early hours of sunday morning, i might be able to do it on sunday but after 12pm about 3pm maybe

also if you could check how much pad is left then we will know if it needs new pads or not, you could play it on the safe side and get new front pads anyway as they might have worn from being seized
but if the wheel is hard to move i'd get new pads anyway as they probably have worn uneven like |\ or /| when they should be flat

if you could get the car to me early on saturday i could do it then but i've got to be somewhere at 5:30pm

if you get the new pads, i'll fit them and fix what ever is seizing up hopefully just the pads for £20 if you bring the car to me, pe28 5ut

OP
OP
R

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
ok brought some discs and pads (to be on really safe side as i just brought the car and they prolly been rubbing for ageeessssss!)

adding you on msn neways :) cheers

OP
OP
R

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
ok... now its started to make the most AWFUL grinding noise when i use the brakes, and also when i steer sometimes too (sounds like its coming from the front)...

i think there is meat on the pads still :S

i can feel the grinding thru the brake pedal and everything... any ideas? :S

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
dude you want me to come down on saturday morning to have a quick look for you?, sounds like the pads have gone down to metal on metal

OP
OP
R

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
its alrite thanks. i was going to sort them out saturday anyway but the people sent me the wrong discs the ... (insert nasty word) (sorry - but really how hard is it to notice the box says in big letters ROVER 114 and not NISSAN MICRA).

im not driving it now till its repaired

if i dont get the right parts before saturday i actually will go mad :/

but thanks anyway :)