Brakes on the micra

I've got a 1.2 micra, the brakes on it don't feel great. I replaced the front discs and pads last year and that made it a bit better.

I'll admit I'm used to more performance cars, and the brakes on my daily driver are massive, even for a normal car. Even still the micra brakes feel weak. I've also got a corsa c 1.2, and the brakes on that feel normal, or more typical.

The micra is a small car, the brakes shouldn't feel bad. How do other (more experienced) drivers feel about the micra brakes. Is there an issue here or are they all just like that?

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
What make of pads are you using? When I first got my K12 I replaced the discs and pads with new Mintex ones and while the braking was improved over the pads and warped discs that came with the car I wasn't over impressed with it compared to my other car, a Saab 9-3.
After about 10K miles I decided to try the same make pads that I have used in my Saabs previously and got a set of Pagid ones from ECP. On taking out the Mintex pads I found that they were hardly worn which was a bit surprising after 10K of fairly enthusiastic driving. Anyway I fitted the Pagid pads and the difference was staggering, Real ultra responsive brakes from cold that don't fade even when stopping from high speed.
I suspect that these pads are going to wear just a 'little' quicker than the Mintex ones so I took advantage the other week, when ECP were having one of their flash 50% of brake part sales, and got a second set for 'stock';)

I always just buy the cheapo brembo or pagids for most customer cars and they never complain. Known a lot of the issues with poor brake pedal feel on the K12 is usually a mixture of poorly serviced slide pins on the front callipers and poorly adjusted rear drums on most. That and nobody ever changes brake fluid...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
V
I cant remember the make, the local motor factor said they were listed as the better ones for brand and had no complaints (they normally say what ones to avoid).

The calipers were all cleaned up and were free. I might have a look at the drum adjustment, I've been reading the self adjuster is more of a manual adjuster, probably flush the fluid at the same time.

I cant remember the make, the local motor factor said they were listed as the better ones for brand and had no complaints (they normally say what ones to avoid).

The calipers were all cleaned up and were free. I might have a look at the drum adjustment, I've been reading the self adjuster is more of a manual adjuster, probably flush the fluid at the same time.

Let us know how you get on. I'm interested to see this helps. I think my brakes are also pretty shocking, but I haven't yet fully investigated.

OP
OP
V
The rear adjusters were all jammed up with brake dust. Took them out and cleaned them all so they are now totally free, and self-adjusting when rebuilt (you can hear the ping as it adjusts).

New brake fluid done too, why did Nissan think 7mm was a good size for bleed valve. I think I'll replace the front two as they were starting to round when trying to undo them.

I'll find out soon how they are as I've not had a chance to go out in it.

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Brake thought from my blog, Clio rear axle with dish brakes: -06 Micra 160 SR of Mika The Finn.

s-l1600.jpg