Brakes, help!!!!!!

the handbreak light has come on on my dash and yesterday after the car had been sat at work i have lost breaking on the right hand side of the car. whats wrong and how much?

the handbreak light has come on on my dash and yesterday after the car had been sat at work i have lost breaking on the right hand side of the car. whats wrong and how much?

it sounds like you have a fluid leak timmy, :eek: how,s the level ?
and the system is split diagonally usually (ie n/sf with o/s/r etc)

sounds about right, how much am i looking at at a garage

its usually the rear cylinders that leak (£50 a side ?) but you should have got some warning really
so it could be a bust pipe (£50 - £100 ? depending on which pipe)
i would top the fluid up and pump the brakes to look for a leak :)

You need to fill the fluid up before pumpin it to find the leak. Nothing will leak out if there is nothing to leak out!

Top it up and get an assistant to pump the pedal. You are looking underneath and in the engine bay for the fluid spraying out.

Also have a look inside the rear wheels, if one of the rear wheel cylinders is leaking you will see fluid dripping out the bottom of the brake drum.

If a pipe has burst chances are the others are pretty close to bursting too. Why not get yourself a flaring tool ('bout £30) and make up your own?

you drove it home ffs ! fwn

You mad #######! and people wonder why there are accidents.

Now if the leak is inside the drum you'll need new brake shoes, the inside of the drums will require to be absolutely spotless or the new linings will get contaminated and therefore as useless

it had half breaks, still daft i know but i was going VERY slowly.

you should'nt have drove it really what if the brakes totally stopped working? you could have endangered yourself and others, insurance company found out the real reason that would be bad.

ffs - that warning lamp is connected to the brake fluid resivoir

how many people dont read the owners manual?

ffs - that warning lamp is connected to the brake fluid resivoir

how many people dont read the owners manual?

ffs, it didnt come with the owners manual!!!! i wonder how many cars dont come with one, more than do, thats how many!!!!!!

so how do i find out what it means, by asking on here you ###!

You mad #######! and people wonder why there are accidents.

Now if the leak is inside the drum you'll need new brake shoes, the inside of the drums will require to be absolutely spotless or the new linings will get contaminated and therefore as useless

i understand where you are coming from but most accidents are caused by people driving without due care and attention, sure you could argue that i was not driving with due care but my attention levels were spilling out of the sun roof!

i would like to make it perfectly clear that this is not something i make a habbit of, in fact this is the only time and the car has been sat since i got it home. just seems a lot of people on here jump to the wrong conclusions about people without knowing them, dont judge until you know all the facts please.

by the way, you are spot on about the drums.

Back